iPhone 5 Pre-Order and Launch Dates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgribin, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bgribin, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

bgribin macrumors regular

Fortune had an interesting look at when the iPhone 5 could hit stores - http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/21/if-iphone-5-is-unveiled-oct-4-when-will-it-go-on-sale/

I imagine it'll release on October 13th or 14th - unless we get a surprise release of October 4th. Any thoughts?

Assuming the release isn't immediate, when do you think online reservations and pre-orders will begin? I usually try to order from the Apple Store online - maybe we'll see online pre-orders a week after the 4th? (As in the 11th.)

And how long after the iPhone 4 was announced did pre-orders begin? I'm having trouble remembering.

2. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Invites: Tuesday, September 27
    Event: Tuesday, October 4
    Pre-Orders: Tuesday, October 11 or Wednesday, October 12
    Sale: Friday, October 21

That's my guess.

iPhone 4 was announced at the event on June 7, 2010 pre-orders happened on June 15, and it went on sale June 24.

3. ppilone macrumors 6502

Given the recent rumors I think you've got the best/most reasonable dates.

4. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Apple iPhone 4 Timeline

Event: Monday, June 7
    Pre-Orders: Tuesday, June 15
    Sale: Thursday, June 24

There weren't typical invites because it was the first day of WWDC '10 - right?

----------

Those dates do make a lot of sense - although I could see the phone going on sale on either Thursday or Friday.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This sounds about right. I was thinking the 14th as the pre-order date though.

6. jcb19 macrumors member

Pre-order question

I'm due for an upgrade 10/14/2011; if pre-order is before that but not available until after that and I order from the Apple store, will the Verizon plan "know" that behind the scenes? Also, I'm upgrading on another family member's line, since I gave mine to yet another family member; I'm going to need the correct # assigned to it, somehow; which I assume will mean a visit to Verizon?

Thanks in advance!

7. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... any reason the 14th? I think Apple's usually opened pre-orders on Tuesdays. That said, who knows when it'll be this time.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Wild guess based on the date last year, but if Tuesdays are it then that's what it is then.