Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has released its annual Zeitgeist feature for 2011, highlighting some of the top trends in search during the year. As in previous years, Apple and its products appear in a number of contexts within this year's results.

iphone_5_google_zeitgeist.jpg

In the highest-profile ranking included in the survey, the term "iPhone 5" ranked sixth among fastest-rising searches on a global basis. Driven by considerable speculation and rumors about the device and Apple's later-than-usual release for this year's iPhone, consumer interest in Apple's follow-up to the iPhone 4 remained at high levels for many months in 2011.
Consumers and analysts alike anticipated the release of Apple's newest smartphone many months prior to its arrival. Rumored features included a larger screen, edge-to-edge glass, an 8 megapixel camera, and extensive voice controls. Many believed the phone would be called the iPhone 5.
Google notes that searches for "iPhone 5" rose 1,658% between 2010 and 2011, with the peak coming in the week of September 25th, just ahead of Apple's iPhone media event. To encapsulate the popularity of the "iPhone 5", Google requested our permission to use the mockups of the rumored design we commissioned from CiccareseDesign based on leaked case designs.

Apple of course released the iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 5 at the event, to the disappointment of many who had been hoping for a significant exterior redesign, hopes that had been fueled by the leaked case designs and rumors of a thinner, teardrop form factor.

google_zeitgeist_2011.jpg

As far as Google's Zeitgeist 2011, Apple made several other appearances in high-profile rankings, with Steve Jobs taking ninth place in fastest-rising searches and the iPad 2 taking tenth. Among fastest rising consumer electronics, the iPhone 4S took second place to Amazon's Kindle Fire, with the iPad 2 coming in in sixth place and the so-far unreleased iPad 3 taking tenth.

Article Link: 'iPhone 5' Ranked as Sixth Fastest-Rising Google Search of 2011

ad2435

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Too bad they never released it.

Must have been some technical problems as I can't see apple wasting 1.5 years on an upgraded iphone 4.

Hopefully next year for those waiting for a larger screen and haven't gone to samsung or moto already.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Wait, Google+ is on the list? Nobody uses that service! It was a flash in the pan and it's been pretty much dead since it's initial growth spurt. I think Google fudged the numbers on this.

Ryan Dunn placed higher than Steve Jobs? Really? Yeah, I can see that, what with all the press and documentaries released about Ryan Dunn. Oh wait...

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
I assume this is the rankings for the US and not the world?

6 of the top 10 would be of absolutely no interest to anyone I know ;)

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
the fact that Rebecca Black is number one is a good reason to just ignore this list :rolleyes:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I'm wondering if this is limited to two-word phrases instead of one-word phrases (e.g.: how did "iPhone" rank all but itself or does this only count things that were quoted like "iPhone 5", which most people don't even know is significant in searching for an exact phrase). Even so the numbers seem off. How is it Ryan Dunn ranked so high? And Google + which was not even around part of the year and nobody knew what they were calling it until it released got searched on so much. Perhaps people were searching for "google+fake+statistics". These statistics don't seem to make all that much sense.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rebecca Black came in FIRST PLACE FIRST PLACE, SHES GETTIN DOWN IN FIRST PLACE.

*walks away shamefully*

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think this is year over year growth. Which would make sense considering google+ wasn't around, Rebecca Black was a nobody (sorry, is a nobody) and iPhone 5, Steve Jobs, etc where more popular search terms already.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA

I think this is year over year growth. Which would make sense considering google+ wasn't around, Rebecca Black was a nobody (sorry, is a nobody) and iPhone 5, Steve Jobs, etc where more popular search terms already.

I was thinking that too, and that would make sense, but I need confirmation before I believe Google isn't just lying.

----------

I'm gonna call BS on #2 being Google+.

Nice try google.

Yes! Thank you!

pdc123

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
I was thinking that too, and that would make sense, but I need confirmation before I believe Google isn't just lying.

If you (collectively) bothered to actually read the page, it very clearly says
"Global Fastest Rising Searches, 2011"

But yes, we should in fact wait for the Google Conspiracy to confirm that for us, and engage in wild, accusatory speculation until then.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I'm gonna call BS on #2 being Google+.

Nice try google.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Because as people hear about it, they wonder what the hell it is. And given google's description, they probably have to search around to really figure out what the hell it actually is. Because it is a confusing and ridiculous product just like 90% of their experiments

I'm glad by the way to see them shutting down google labs and focusing on hopefully less products. I am google free and can't believe how much hype and time investment from community was put in to google wave and google buzz, only to have them be completely dropped. I mean, how ridiculous

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

a.gomez said:
the fact that Rebecca Black is number one is a good reason to just ignore this list :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly!

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Rebecca Black is #1, is this list even relevant?

I'm guessing they are not including other common searches....;)

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto

Yes, year over year growth does not necessarily make it the most popular searches ... which maybe is why google + is there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.