iPhone 5 Rattle; not camera nor vibration motor

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Prodo123, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

So I got my iPhone 5 today (yaaaay) and the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it rattled. Not only could I hear the rattle, I felt it. I have the camera rattle on the iPhone 4 so I know what that should sound like; it's completely different. It feels like there's something heavy and solid inside the phone that's loose. When I shake it, it feels like I'm shaking a spray paint can (and sure sounds like it too).

Funny thing is, the phone itself is perfectly fine (except for the scuffgate; 3 chips, 2 scratches and dirty seams between aluminum and glass). It makes calls, does data lightning fast, etc. but this rattling issue is bugging the heck out of me.

Is there anyone else here that has a similar issue? Do you think if I take it to the Apple Store they'll have any units to replace this defective one with?

2. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

Others have posted about this and it seems to be the battery coming loose from its adhesive. I'd exchange it if I were you. Having "scuffs" along with a loose battery is more than enough reason to take it back IMO.

3. frozzbite macrumors member

check your power button. I suspect it is loose. I had that before. It is kinda hard to get it swapped, but you have to be insistent on the problem.

4. crewpride macrumors member

Yeah my power button rattles slightly. I don't notice it all that often though because it only happens when I tap on the back of my phone. Not enough for me to go to the apple store and swap it out when everything else works just fine.

5. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Apple confirmed it to be a defect with the loose battery.
    Also the glass cover for the screen was lifting in the middle, another manufacturer defect.
    As well as scuffgate.
    They promptly replaced my phone by mail in less than 2 weeks for free.
    I state this again; if your phone rattles and you can <i>feel</i> it moving it's probably the battery.