iPhone 5 rear glass coming up; camera spots

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrettApple, Apr 18, 2014.

1. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

So I recently purchased an iPhone 5 (64GB) online to upgrade from my iPhone 4s (that I bought in Oct. to "upgrade" from my GSIII) and the speed and weight is wonderful (missed LTE from my Samsung to 3G on the 4s, ugh). But, I've already had to replace the lock/volume button flex cable during the first few days because the lock button only worked on the side and it was a hit or a miss (seller didn't mention or have knowledge of this...). But I've also noticed the back glass panels don't sit evenly, and have kind of popped up. Along with that, I'm getting spots on the camera all of the sudden. I assume it's dust, and hope it's not the sensor.

Just wanting an opinion on what to do with it. I've replaced the flex cable, and worked on many an iPhone 4/4s (screen, home button, etc) and replaced the screen on a 5. So I'm happy to open her up.

Question is, do you think that simply using a heat gun to heat up the adhesive under the glass and putting some pressure on it for a while would get it to stay back down? And I'm assuming I can remove the screen, pop up the camera and blow some air down there to remove the dust no problem. But mainly I was just curios if anyone else has ever had this issue?

I've searched but I always end up finding front panel issues, and not the back glass. I also kind of want to replace the rear glass with some red glass, but I hear you can't remove the existing glass without damaging the housing, or going from the inside out so never mind that. Lol. I miss the custom back panels for the 4/4S.

Sorry for the somewhat low quality photos, they're from my backup 4yr old Droid Incredible. Half decent 8MP sensor, crappy focus detection and cracked lens :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it under warranty? I'd look to have it repaired/replaced instead of taking a heat gun to it. I'd be worried that a heat gun could damage the internal components.

3. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It's a week 38 iPhone (sep 2012) and I checked on Apples site. Not under warranty.

I almost considered selling it for about the same price and getting a 5C (like the feel better) but I'd loose a lot of storage and a higher cost for essentially the same phone isn't worth it. (On vzw, they run higher).

I'd be a little worried about heat, but if it's on low just enough to soften the glue I don't think it'd hurt it much.

Also I'm in south central Kansas, and there isn't an Apple store anywhere close to here. Nor a service provider that does mobiles. When I had my 4s worked on (warranty) on I had to ship it to Apple.