iPhone 5 release

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronpage28, May 12, 2011.

1. ronpage28 macrumors newbie

I was sitting here reading all about how the new iPhone wont be released until September and I got to thinking about last year. If memory serves me right starting prior to the release of the iPad 1, iPhone 4 rumors started and we had leaked pictures everywhere. Also Apple was extremely upset about the iPhone 4 prototype landing into Gizmodos hands. Basically what I am getting at is what if everything that we are reading about now was done so to keep iPhone 4 sales going until the release of the next iPhone. Now I know that everyone says that WWDC will not have hardware releases but I think its just smoke and mirrors. I have not seen any thing that explicitly says WWDC is only software based. Only that its the future of iOS and OSX. Ok so maybe you can say that that proves it right there, but cant a device also be apart of the future of iOS? Either way I do believe that it could be smoke and mirrors. If I am wrong oh well, but if it is released later than normal I sure as heck hope that they do more than just a bump in specs. Not necessarily a full cosmetic change just something that can warrant a delayed release date.

2. ronpage28 thread starter macrumors newbie

OH! And I just wanted to add that rumors swirled about the iPad 2 not being released on time. Just saying. It all just doesnt fit with Apples perfect schedule. Every single product that Apple releases updates at around the same time yearly. This year up to now included. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's just going to be a bump in spec, probably released sometime in the 3rd QT of this year.

I don't expect to see a complete overhaul cosmetically until next year, that and with the recent release of the white iPhone.

Personally I'm sticking with my phone until there's a significant change, besides a bump in specs.

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Just a bump in spec? :rolleyes: so significant change is when the external looks different? Wow, don't judge a book by it's cover.

The iPhone 3GS upgrade was huge, the fact that iPhone 3GS runs iOS 4 and is usable is a testament to the hardware. The iPhone 4 is just a bit faster than the iPhone 3GS, but that "bit" is significant.
    What's a white iPhone got to do with any of this?

Every iPhone upgrade was significant, don't undermine the next iPhone because you have the iPhone 4.

Anyway OP, rumors are pointing to a bigger screen so if anything it might be the current iPhone 4 form factor, with a different back (maybe Liquid Metal, unlikely though), a bigger screen and a better antenna.

Apple is a business so they purposely omitted key features from the iPhone 4 to apply to the next iPhone. They'll add such features to make even current iPhone 4 owners upgrade. So don't sweat it, they do this every year.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I mentioned this a while back as something I could picture Apple doing to keep sales going and maintain secrecy about the next generation iPhone - but only time will tell.

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

I too have had this belief for awhile, OP. And great point about the rumors that the iPad 2 was delayed and it wasn't.

Maybe the ip5 will be the "just one more thing" :)

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Truth of the matter is that we don't have any solid concrete specs on what the next iPhone will be, so we have nothing to compare it to. Until then, like you said yourself, everything is just that, rumors.

With that being said, would I be upgrading to a 4S (or whatever name it'll be given) when it releases? probably not, as I'm sure many others will not either. Of course, some have to have the latest and greatest so I can't speak for that group. :)

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

::raises hand::

;)

9. ronpage28 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know I just thought about something else. With WWDC being June 6th they could release the developers build at that time and still have a finished os released by mid July ready for an iPhone 4S/5 release. Basically with Apple acting out of the norm and not previewing iOS 5 earlier this year it only fuels the rumors even more for a later release. To me this all really just sounds way too fishy! But yes only time will tell and I will be upgrading my 3GS to the newer model!

10. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think you're right about the rumors being a vehicle to keep iPhone 4 sales going. I'm also thinking that the iPhone 5 will be the same form factor as the iPhone 4, similar to the 3G->3GS upgrade. With that we'll probably see a slightly bigger screen, upgraded processor (A5), and an upgraded camera.

I also think there is a real basis for the rumors surrounding a fall release and that's a new iPod Touch WiFi+3G model. That would bring the iPod Touch more in-line with the iPad offering at a smaller size. I also think that an iPod Touch with 3G data is essentially the low-cost iPhone that has been rumored. I think that the bigger screen size from the iPhone 5 will also carry over to this iPod Touch and is the product that the "This is my next" crew is detailing in http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/22/iphone-5-design/

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

if iOS 5 doesn't have a "sb settings" type feature I will cry.

12. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I think it will go one of two ways:

If it's just an internals change, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't release it as normal in the June/July.

If it released later than usual, then that suggests (at least to me) there may be some case/form factor changes as well.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I tend to agree. With a later release date I am expecting more than just an A5 bump. I'm fine with the current design but I'd expect it to be different with the delayed release.

14. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I agree, unless the delay is to have the iPhone 5 release with a completed ios5.

I think they better have a good reason for the delay, because if it's just a spec bump and half their customers have burned their upgrade on an iPhone 4, they'll have some 'splainin' to do.