Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
If i am getting an overnight shipment of another iPhone 5 and i have to send mines back, would the one they are sending me new or refurbished? Thanks

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
They will instruct him to send back only the iPhone itself if it's a white box replacement swap.
While this is normally the practice, what I've been experiencing recently is a deviation from the long standing practice. The replacements are always refurbs as usual, but lately they ask for all packaging, the phone and included accessories.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I got a replacement last week from AppleCare (white box, overnight shipping). Week 36, so still a new one but it's heavily scratched up and has the worst light leak yet (white model).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
While this is normally the practice, what I've been experiencing recently is a deviation from the long standing practice. The replacements are always refurbs as usual, but lately they ask for all packaging, the phone and included accessories.

You know this how? You returned your iPhone 5 for a refund, which requires you to return everything, unlike swapping it out. White box replacements contain no accessories.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I got a replacement last week from AppleCare (white box, overnight shipping). Week 36, so still a new one but it's heavily scratched up and has the worst light leak yet (white model).

sorry to hear that so did they let you send it back for another one?

refluxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
i said this in another post, but i went to the apple store, the genius told me the "replacements" are brand new , not manufactured not refurbs. I dont think they're allowed to lie about something like that...

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I got my iPhone 5 replaced at my local Apple Store today for debris underneath the rear lens that was visible on every picture... the replacement came in the "white box" that had nothing but a phone. I asked if it was a refurb or new and the Genius Bar rep said it was a brand new phone. I certainly see nothing that indicates it isn't brand new...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You failed to read my post. It says "replacement". Not returned for refund.
It couldn't be more clearly stated.

Still makes no sense. You're returning everything yet they give you a white box with no accessories so you're sans a charger or cable? Your post also says that replacements are always refurbs and this isn't necessarily true, especially right after new iPhone debut.

i said this in another post, but i went to the apple store, the genius told me the "replacements" are brand new , not manufactured not refurbs. I dont think they're allowed to lie about something like that...

Geniuses are very capable of lying. In the beginning, they're most certainly brand new as there are no returned iPhones to be re-manufacturered, but we've already approached the two month mark when refurbs start making their way into the white boxes.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Still makes no sense. You're returning everything yet they give you a white box with no accessories so you're sans a charger or cable? Your post also says that replacements are always refurbs and this isn't necessarily true, especially right after new iPhone debut.
Respectfully, I cannot imagine why you're so set on assuming.

Reading my post, at no time did I mention a white box, or being sans a charger or cable. I have no further comment.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

I've just spoken to several senior managers at applecare, they do not ask for all the chargers, cables and packaging for replacements; stop spreading BS.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Respectfully, I cannot imagine why you're so set on assuming.

Reading my post, at no time did I mention a white box, or being sans a charger or cable. I have no further comment.

You're not doing us any favor by being cryptic. You responded to my post which specifically involves a white box replacement swap. You claim that they're deviating from the usual practice of swapping out just the iPhone itself to requiring that you return everything, including the retail box and accessories. Are you claiming they're giving out brand new retail boxes instead of white boxes in exchange?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
If i am getting an overnight shipment of another iPhone 5 and i have to send mines back, would the one they are sending me new or refurbished? Thanks

My BT stopped working on my launch day iPhone 5 got it swapped yesterday at the store though,genius guy said all the swaps are still "new" phones even though they come in the grey box.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When I had my iPhone swapped, the serial number of the replacement phone showed it was manufactured two weeks before my new one was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.