iPhone 5 replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by livodaz, Jun 21, 2013.

1. livodaz macrumors newbie

Hey guys this is my first post on these forums I've lurked for a while but finally decided to make a post and ask a question.

So my Iphone was working fine up until about last month the sleep/wake button wouldn't work 100% of the the time I clicked it in fact it only works maybe 20%.

I had it jail-broken at the time and thought this was the issue so against my will I decided to upgrade the phone and see if that was the problem it wasn't I was annoyed that I lost my jailbreak for something that wasn't caused by the jailbreak.

Anyway I talked to apple and they gave me an appointment to take the phone for a replacement the appointment is on Tuesday and I'm worried that there going to come up with some excuses not to replace my phone.
    I've never gotten the phone wet it has no cracks/scratches except a small scuff that the phone came with. (I didn't really mind about it)

My question is will the replacement process be easy?
    Are they going to ask me a lot of questions?
    Can they tell I was ever jailbroken?
    Is there anything I can say that would ensure they replace my phone?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will test it out. If the power button is not working they will give you a replacement.
    Don't be so worried, they have good customer service. They wont ask you many questions and you don't need to say anything specific to them.
    Just show them the problem and they will take it from there.

3. livodaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard many other people had the same problem as me so hopefully they know about it and that makes it easy.

Anyway thanks for the response

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

in and out in 15 minutes

no, they will replicate the issue and grab a replacement phone

as long as its restored to the current OS and unjailbroken, you will be fine.

nope. see question #2

and on another note, since you said you lurked, you should know theres tons of threads on this already which detail peoples button issues and their experiences at apple regarding the warranty return.

5. livodaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response my friend.
    Yeh I seen people post about there home button I was just worried that the test it and for once it works for them and they tell me to f off or something lol

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

they will test is a few times. the button issue is easy to replicate so it should be an issue.

7. livodaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man do you know what the replacement will be?
    New phone? refurb?

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

as your lurking spider senses may have already picked up on, this question has been beaten to death plenty of times already. general consensus believes its a brand new device, that apple sets aside for replacement purposes. others think its a refurbished phone. no one seems to know the true answer. apple will tell you its new however regardless. it will come in a blank white box and will probably be flawless.

9. livodaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man for answering all my question.:)

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no problem whatsoever

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also I don't think I've seen Apple refuse to replace any of my phones because it was jailbroken. They'd have to be pretty ignorant to think a faulty power button or something like would be the effect of being jailbreaking.

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

they clearly state that jailbreaking voids the warranty. its always advisable to restore back to an unjailbroken state before taking it in for service. they could use it against you and deny warranty, even if common sense tells you the JB didnt cause it.

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

My replacement unit received it the day before yesterday was brand new, manufactured 3 weeks ago (checked at http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi )

14. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Wouldn't Magnusson-Moss apply in this situation?

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i dont know. but apple clearly states the following...

"Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3743

frankly, i would rather take the 10 minutes it takes to restore the damn thing than fight with an apple tech in the store over it. you clearly violate their ToS by JB, and you are opening up a can of worms by just not taking the few simple steps to avoid the fiasco.

years ago, when i had to bring my Nissan in for warranty service (transmission bearings were wearing out), i left my cold air intake on which was my ONLY mod at the time. they attempted to deny my powertrain warranty because of that simple thing, telling me their head mechanic said the car was now making too much power and the trans couldnt handle it. i told them they needed a new head mechanic. its obvious to anyone that the intake didnt cause the trans bearings to go, but they indeed tried to play that card. i brought the car to another dealer and they laughed at the other dealer about it and warrantied my car. moral of the story is, even though dealer 2 knew my intake didnt cause my issue, dealer 1 chose to deny me for it. if i wouldve just simply returned it to the stock airbox, it would have avoided the run around. simple as that.