iPhone 5 replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dannnnn, Jun 28, 2017.

1. dannnnn macrumors newbie

hey all, my wife has an iphone 5 and it has died due to accidental damage. i was planning to take it to the genius bar and have apple replace it, which they will do for A$408.95. however now future iOS releases won't be supporting 32bit devices like the iphone5 i am thinking this will be a waste of time.

it got me wondering though - the iphone5 is quite an old device, to they replace it with another iphone5, or with something 64bit like an iphone 5S or SE?? we live quite some distance from an apple store, so i'm hoping someone else might have had experience with this.

thanks all :)

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. They replace like for like. Up until about two years ago they still had replacement stock for the original iPhone.

Also, just replaced two iPhone 5's in May. Got back exactly what I turned in.

3. konicky macrumors member

A$408 How does that compare to the price of a new SE over there ?

4. nox5 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't pay anything for 5. It's time to upgrade.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I paid $160. $80 each (cost of the battery) to replace because batteries were swelling.

And neither of those two phones are my primary phones, although one of them is now my son's primary phone.

6. dannnnn thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty close to the price of an SE, hence why I'm not too keen to pay it and get another 5!!

Thanks for your help guys, saved me a trip :)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they don't have any iPhone 5 in stock they might give you an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB jet black instead.
    Just kidding:D