iPhone 5 restore issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Edge1978, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon iPhone 5, and whenever I restored my previous iPhones I would always download the latest ipsw file, put my iPhone in DFU mode and then [shift+restore]. Which I was always told was the best way to do it. Anyway, for some reason it keeps saying the ipsw file is not compatible with my device even though it is?? When I do a regular restore, it restores fine but what would cause it to say incompatible when I do a shift restore? :eek::confused:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Why don't you update through iTunes? What iOS version are you attempting to install?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot restore to older firmware if that's what you're trying to do.
    That shift+restore trick hasn't worked for many years since the iphone 3GS came out.
    Apple only allows you to restore your iphone 5 to the latest ios version. And that's currently 6.1.4

4. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on 6.14 and downloaded the firmware for 6.14 and was just going to shift+ restore to restore my device. I am just confused as to why it would say it's not compatible. When I was on ATT and had an iPhone 5 it worked fine I was able to restore that way. Just not sure why my Verizon iPhone 5 won't allow it as all.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you sure you're downloading the correct .ipsw for your model phone?
    The Verizon iphone 5 and GSM iphone 5 version have different firmware builds that are not compatible with eachother.
    I'd just let iTunes download and install it instead so you don't have any problems.
    A list of firmware files can be found here:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    You need this file for your Verizon iphone 5:
    6.1.4 (5 GSM+CDMA): iPhone5,2_6.1.4_10B350_Restore.ipsw

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did you download the correct file? The files for AT&T and Verizon are different.

I'm still not sure why you don't restore by clicking restore through iTunes. Downloads the file directly from Apple.

Edit: Just what Applejuiced said. He must've posted while I was still typing..:)

7. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks both of you, but that's what scares me because I did download the correct firmware. :eek: I just think it's odd that it's telling me that it's the wrong one.