iPhone 5 ruined after 7.1.1, can I downgrade?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by edwardomorrison, Jul 1, 2014.

1. edwardomorrison macrumors newbie

Ahoy fellow iPhone enthusiasts.

On Sunday I decided to finally update my phone to ios 7.1.1 after however long I'd put it off. I made sure to backup my phone beforehand as I'd previously upgraded only for the upgrade to fail and wipe my phone. However the same thing happened again but worse. My phone was bricked. But not only that, the update seems to have wiped my restore points from that day (and the previous ios) as well as requiring me to reinstall iTunes due to an error.

I've had 2 live chat sessions with Apple that helped me to get my phone working again, but I've lost everything contained on my phone before the attempted update. Also I despise 7.1.1. I haven't had phone signal, no form of internet without wifi and my battery life went from full to 10% within 8 hours of hardly any use (due to no internet).

So basically I'm asking if there's anyway of returning to the ios version 1 step belo 7.1.1? Also if I were able to get back to that version would my restore points become available again? I seem to recall that happening last time I tried to update.

Thanks, and I apologise for my long post. I very much dislike this update.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you cannot downgrade.

The best you can do is apply the 7.1.2 patch and hope for the best.

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: No, because Apple is not signing any other version right now other than iOS 7.1.2.

4. edwardomorrison thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow 2 replies already ha. Ok that's a shame, although I was expecting something similar. I'll download the patch and hope for the best.

Has anyone else had experience of restore points disappearing? I backed up 3 times that day as I wanted to be careful, and now nada.

5. velle macrumors newbie

I've that happening to me once, but i was lucky that i had an itunes backup from a few days before, so i only lost a few pictures and texts. So i normally make an itunes backup as well now, so i'm on the safe side.