iPhone 5 Rumor: 4.5 inch LG AH-IPS display? (highly speculative)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 5, 2011.

1. aohus, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

A collaborative spreadsheet is being maintained to aid those in getting a smartphone/tablet for the holiday season and beyond.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aptx1BjjPjZhdFQtQnBzeDBUVVR3UXNtVm5UTkRKYXc

One of the anonymous contributors put out specs for the new iPhone 5. Please note that this is extremely speculative. In fact, I actually don't believe this guy at all. But this same user has provided details of other phones that seem believable.

Again, please take these specs with a grain of salt. I'm just throwing it out there since you know, its called MacRumors.

- iPhone 5 will be the thinnest smartphone in the market
    - Launching globally, selling on all 4 U.S carriers and beyond in other foreign markets
    - Resolution: 4.5 inch Retina Plus display @ 1280 x 720 with 329ppi. (again, take this with a huge grain of salt, but he claims his source is a Qualcomm employee)
    - Display tech: LG AH-IPS. (Please note that in comparison to Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus, the LG AH-IPS display has better power management, and provides more accurate colors than Samsung's "punchy" colors that are inaccurate)
    - GPU: PowerVR SGX 540 @ 301Mhz (he claims his source is an ex-TSMC employee)
    - Camera: 8MP with 1080p recording @ 24fps (speculative)

Whats your take? Please don't flame. Don't shoot the messenger.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

How is a colour innacurate?

A shade of blue to me is not the same shade of blue to someone else, though there may be an overlap.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Probably not true, but I'd love to be wrong. Then again, this is a $600 phone. It's definitely doable.

4. 184550 Guest

Absolutely no way the supposed iPhone 4S would have 4gb/ 64gb capacities and the supposed iPhone 5 would only have 16gb/ 32gb capacities.

5. tomtom101 macrumors regular

Sounds good... Pretty impressive specs! Fingers crossed here!!

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i just updated the doc. those specs were mere placeholders. I removed as it lacks a valid source.

btw, i am the original creator of this spreadsheet but it kinda took a life of its own in the last few days.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The document should also state that the iPhone uses HSPDA as well as HSPA+, but not just HSPA+, otherwise it won't work in a lot of countries. There's only 1 network with a trial rollout in the UK.

Also, why is Windows Phone omitted?

8. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i originally created this doc for Android and iOS only. I did not add Windows Phone as I have not been researching much on Windows Phones. You can help out by adding windows phones though! anybody can edit the spreadsheet. i didn't lock it down.

9. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

very interesting.I like the specs.But i think it's too much :(

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

4.5" is a bit much (that's what she said!) for Apple. I think we'd be doing good to see a pitiful 3.7" out of them.

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

Screen speculation seems unrealistic.

It would take the standard (for iPhone) 1.5 screen ratio and make it 1.78. That may be a pain for app compatibility. I would say 4.5" seems way too big, and one sporting 329ppi seems like an unrealistic expectation and more expensive than Apple would like. Heck, anything is possible I suppose.

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, the first thing I noticed that I know is wrong is the GPU. It won't be the SGX 540. That we know, just like the a5 in the iPad, it will rock the power VR SGX 543 mp2 or whatever it's called. This list is bogus in sorry. No one at qualcomm would know any specs they would only know what purpose their price of hardware in the phone served. This is a little to much. I'm about 50/50 on the screen size going up, but I can promise you it will NEVER be that big.

13. aohus, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Heck yeah, 4.5 inches seems rather too large for Apple's liking, but this device has to be competitive for a year. Going 4.5 inches isn't entirely unbelievable.

Also, there seems to be insurmountable evidence that Apple will be releasing their incremental upgrade of the iPhone4, dubbed iPhone4S. One could possibly assume that those that do not like bigger screens can get the 'iPhone4S' and those that want a bigger screen will be getting the iPhone 5.

EDIT: had to protect spreadsheet as some immature kids started trolling on it.

If you want to contribute, you now have to sign into google to make any changes.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.
    I'm not buying this at all.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Who knows how accurate this guy is, but I would love for him to be right except for on the screen size. 4.5" is too big IMO. 4" is the perfect size for me. Everything else this guy listed would just be so cool to have on the iPhone 5.

16. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Would much rather get the 4inch 720 p Toshiba display :/

17. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

lol, the website can be publicly edited. How can anyone take this seriously?

Especially when you see this:

Attached Files:

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

those sound more like the specs for the upcoming nexus prime, it suppose to have a 4.5" 720p screen.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Yep. That's what I've been waiting for. Google can't announce that thing soon enough

If the iP5 actually turned out to have that display, I might stay with iOS. But if not, I'll hope the Prime turns out to have the specs it's been rumored to have. The huge screen and high resolution would make me such a happy person

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Apple will never do a 4,5" phone. Never.

This is just someone's wishes...

The new iPhone will have a maximum of 4", even if I somehow believe that Apple thinks that a 3,5" display is ideal (which is actually not very far from being true).

22. asaeta macrumors member

Man I'm hoping for a bigger screen :rolleyes: 3.5" is too small for my hands (I have very large hands). I would love to see a 4" but would probably settle for a 3.7" as well...just announce the dang thing already!

23. note235 macrumors 6502a

my cousin supposedly saw the sprint iphone
    described it as
    "thinner--curved, sameish screen but silvery back"
    i asked if the front was the same size and front the looks yes
    --here's hoping that the iphone 5 does have a bigger screen than 3.5"

24. asaeta macrumors member

for some stupid reason i don't know how to quote a post that shows the username of the OP as well...any help?

But note235, would you care to elaborate who your cousin is or anything like that???

25. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ummm, you press the large "Quote" button at the bottom right of each post that is staring right at you...

As for an iPhone with a 4.5" display, it (or close to it) will happen one day I'm sure as the market settles on 4 point something inches being the accepted size before it goes from being a phone to a tablet.

Define colour. If its just a wavelength of light, then we all receive the same shade. If you mean how we interpret that colour, then yes, many things can have an impact on how we actually SEE that colour.

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?