Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm running an iPhone 5 with stock iOS 7.1.1

In the past 2 weeks, I've noticed that my iPhone gets unusually warm on occasion and the battery drains more quickly than normal. A reset of the phone seems to make the issue go away for a few days.

I disabled background refresh, and I've always had location services disabled.

Is there any way to see if a particular app is going haywire and driving up CPU use? I suspect that an app updated at some point and has bugs which are causing this.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2014
i had this issue with 2 iphone 5, since i have tmobile they sent me a new 1 overnight & i had to send the old back free of charge, im not sure what happens when they do that but both of my first 2 5 's did this..i tried everything nothing worked, i say jus replace it if you can...that heat is very annoying i feel your pain

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My 5S would do the same thing sometimes. Never understood why. Was just something that would happen from time to time.

juliehrobak

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
Things tend to get heated when there is electricity running through it. I would say that you should go to an apple store and see wazzup

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
My 5S would do the same thing sometimes. Never understood why. Was just something that would happen from time to time.

My iPhone is back to its normal fairly cool state. I'm not sure why, but I did have a few apps update, so maybe a bug got fixed.

I'm out if warranty at this point so I sure hope nothing is wrong!

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
mine does this. Nothing is wrong it's just under heavy load. It usually happens when i'm charging my phone and on 3g browsing.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Heat is caused by increased battery drain. Common causes are GPS usage, high backlight usage and high CPU usage.

Look at your app usage to see if any is triggering the above. Seeing as it's heading into summer and brighter days, this will push the brightness to max when you use your phone outside so check the brightness.

Biomage

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
Heat is caused by increased battery drain. Common causes are GPS usage, high backlight usage and high CPU usage.

Look at your app usage to see if any is triggering the above. Seeing as it's heading into summer and brighter days, this will push the brightness to max when you use your phone outside so check the brightness.

I dont use gps , locations are off, background light is on auto, most of time 20-30 percent, the last thing is cpu usage... But i dont use it insane with games or stuff , its normal usage with normal apps , fb, safari, instagram .apps like that..

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My i5 gets hot whilst using 3G on a call, or especially web browsing (on 3G). Sometimes very hot. The rest of the time the temp is perfectly normal.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My i5 gets hot whilst using 3G on a call, or especially web browsing (on 3G). Sometimes very hot. The rest of the time the temp is perfectly normal.

That doesn't sound right. It's expected to see a temp increase when using the phone continuously like navigation software, but very hot?..

I can use my 5s for an hour web browsing, and the temp doesn't rise any, wifi, 3G or lte.

m3nphls

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Mine burns sometimes when I play certain games for too long, I just don't really pay too much attention to it.

Biomage

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
That doesn't sound right. It's expected to see a temp increase when using the phone continuously like navigation software, but very hot?..

I can use my 5s for an hour web browsing, and the temp doesn't rise any, wifi, 3G or lte.

Mine iphone 5s and previous 5 always were heating while i am using 3g

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.