Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Strong numbers, but seeing how they were opening in more countries and more carriers than with the 4S, you'd have thought the number would be bigger.

Of course, that explains why they were able to ship out earlier on some orders :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1450721/

It was eventual that Apple wouldn't be able to maintain the growth they had in previous years though. Analysts and markets put too much pressure and importance on growth rather than sustainability. Growth is not always sustainable, but that doesn't reflect the health of an enterprise.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
from the samsung vs apple trial we knew that with every new iphone launch, the sales were double from the previous iphone. so no wonder the analyst predict 4 mil x 2 for the 5

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Major miss for the stock. But it looks like its more of a supply problem than a sale problem. There will be a chance to get into the stock because I expect a 100$ drop over the next few weeks.

If you're that confident in an upcoming drop for the stock, why not just short the stock now?

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
There is no doubt that they keep breaking the record. They keep adding more countries on the launch date. Wait until they add China on their launch date, that's gonna best record ever in the history.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The online pre-orders sold out way faster than last year so analysts assumed that stores would sell twice as many over the weekend too.

They somehow forgot that clicking on a website isn't the same as getting a human body into a store and that it may not be physically possible to double the amount of people in an Apple store from last year's super-busy time period.

But never the type to let things like 'logic' or 'physics' get in their way, analysts pushed ahead with the "they'll sell twice as many" idea, no matter how little sense it made.

Someone on CNBC wondering why they didn't have the supply to meet the demand. I'm assuming they're building them as fast as they can. And maybe they did have supply constraints. I'd still like to know where Munster et al got their 8-10 million figure.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Yes because Tim and his team don't have to work hard at this at all :rolleyes:

Why would they once it is in Production? May be they have a meeting or two everyday about progress review but the actual work is really done by the factories and the shippers - once it hits production.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
It's already on the news that "iPhone 5 sold five million, below most estimates." Give me a break.

slesherinyork

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
My UPS Driver

I bet the FedEx and UPS drivers can vouch for that number. Their backs and knees are probably still recovering.

My UPS driver was driving a white Chrysler 300 so at least she was riding in a bit more comfort than the brown van... she told me it was a rental and she had a ton to get out by 10:30AM and there was a couple of them doing it...

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
but but but... what about the lackluster screen size? What about the same form factor as the 4 and 4s? What about the lack of NFC technology? but but but... what the heck you guys! you weren't supposed to buy this thing, remember!

Yeah, but.. i heard the headphone jack is on the bottom. *head explodes*

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
You should see them all over at GSMArena! I've never seen such a bunch of hardcore fanboys in my life! They are currently having a field day with the Maps issue & the alleged chipping of the black iPhone 5.

Sad people.

You mean like the majority of Macrumors users now? :rolleyes:

The only sad thing is that the Apple fanboys that populate this site now are completely unable to see that they are exactly the same as the fanboys which populate any other site.

There was a time when I would show my Apple colors with pride, but these days it's like wearing an MTV t-shirt.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Just shows why analysts are analysts and not CEO's

How could apple sell more than "sold out"?

Maybe if they spend more time analyzing the supply chains than the lines of people camping out they'd have better credibility.

Pre-order's are included in the figure...

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
This is called "BUYING OPPORTUNITY".

These IDIOT analysts were irresponsible with their estimates, and are eating it hard right now. Munster was way too far in euphoria to verify his own lofty claims. Shaw Wu was on Bloomberg Radio just minutes ago saying how badly Analysts blew it with expectations.

Apple is selling them FASTER than they can make them. This is merely a supply issue, and they're pumping them out with Herculian power to boot.

Counting pre-sales, we have 40% growth from the 4S, who was a sales master itself. That's massive growth in itself.

Wait until it launches in China, and wait for a China Mobile deal on top of that. Massive.

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
So what 5m x roughly $400 profit per phone = 2 billion in profit over a weekend... yes big disappointment :rolleyes: These so called analysts are a joke. They should spend more time analysing their expectations and be realistic.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I think the 5M includes pre-orders. What I'm curious about is whether this includes phones sold through the carriers.

Apple sells TO the carriers, and not THROUGH the carriers.

My guess is that the 5M includes all sales to the carriers, whether or not delivered currently, and all sales to Apple's direct customers, whether or not delivered currently.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Not bad numbers considering paper currencies are on the verge of collapse and the global economic crisis is as bad as ever.

I'm sure the Maps horror show hurt sales, coinciding as it did with the launch. The 4s was a huge launch and few of those people will be upgrading. Also, unlike a year or two ago, some people may well be waiting to look at other brands' products. If they were on older iPhones they may have already gone WP or Android.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
That's a 25% increase in sales year on year for the launch period then - not bad at all. The really impressive part is that they managed to build and ship so many.

We clearly saw a big shift towards pre-ordering which is to be expected as more and more of us switch to buying online rather than from stores.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The bottleneck is probably due to supply constraints. It would be short-sighted to base sales figures solely off sales during 1 week. :rolleyes:

Give apple a month or so. We will likely still see steady iphone5 sales all the way till next June, since not everyone's contract necessarily ended right when the iphone5 was released, or they may just be waiting for the crowds to peter off before buying one. The earliest I can recontract my phone would be in November, for instance. :)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It will be interesting to see if they can keep that sales momentum going for the whole year. Sales are bound to be amazing in the first quarter as iPhone 3/4 users upgrade, early adopters buy and pent up demand. The real test comes in 6 or 9 months time when that initial demand has been satisfied and they are now selling to non-Apple users and the general public who will more closely evaluate the iPhone 5 against the competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.