Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogershaffer1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
There is comparable insurance available other than Apple Care that includes accidental damage. And you get a new phone not a refurbished one.

mrsFAB

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
I'm calling BS.

You can call what you want. All I know is this crack came from out of the blue.

----------

There is comparable insurance available other than Apple Care that includes accidental damage. And you get a new phone not a refurbished one.

I have never had any issues. My phones are always scratchless /crackless and that's how I sell them for top dollar to buy the next model. After this mess, I may look into it. I just could not see getting any insurance since I never really have my phone for long because I always get the next model. *sighs*

mrsFAB

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Update!

At the Apple store now. The genius rep said, before I even explained, that CLEARLY I did not drop my phone. I got it replaced for free. :) I am happy!!!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Well done - that's good news :)

That just proves that, providing you are honest and have a genuine problem, service from Apple is second to none.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Single hairline cracks are covered under your warranty....if an FRS or Genius tries to tell you otherwise, tell them to look at their own documentation.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Single hairline cracks are covered under your warranty....if an FRS or Genius tries to tell you otherwise, tell them to look at their own documentation.

Where is this in the documentation? Cracks are usually signs of misuse, which the warranty documentation clearly states is not covered.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
You're comparing a sunroof.... something that is much larger, secured in a much different way, has way different stresses placed upon it to the glass in a cell phone...... yeah, ok.

My point was that during assembly or manufacturing a microscopic nick or whatever could have occurred in the glass causing it to weaken. Apparently that's too much for you to grasp.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Go look at my Public Profile and what my occupation is.....

For some reason, the forum won't show me the "about me" section on your profile. I'm assuming you're a genius. Aren't apple employees not allowed to have any accounts on here?A friend of mine who is an apple store employee was forced to shut down his apple blog because he got a job at the apple store. He also says it is forbidden to use this website.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Maybe you had keys in your bockets that banged up against the screen. I always try to keep my keys and phone in seperate pockets.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Heck when I bought my iPhone 5 at the apple store it was cracked in the box anythings possible

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Bravo. You found a genius willing to gift you a free phone. Certainly you wouldn't have faulted him if they chose not to believe your story, because obviously (and you can call reality negativity all you want) not many people here believe you had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Apple is the nicest company out there with regards to tech returns.

Sometimes they'll replace a phone that people ADMIT to dropping just because they are in that mood. Sometimes they insist on the $229.

Just because they replaced your phone doesn't mean anyone that had questions about how it really happened were wrong or weren't contributing to your thread, we just weren't telling you what you wanted to hear.

You got lucky. Next time you drop it, sit on it, hit it with something... whatever REALLY happened you might not be.

This one guy works/worked for Apple. He was told to believe any story that suggested the damage was covered, even if the story was obviously wrong.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Only if there is no impact mark. I.e. if you drop it, there's a tiny circular crack in the middle with 2 hairlines coming off of it, that's not covered.

Also, the 3G/3GS was an exception - single hairline cracks are only covered if they form a V shape from the receiver, or from the home button to the base of the screen.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
What I've noticed on these forums, is that as soon as someone report a problem w their product, there r a number of people that will accuse them of lying. I like apple products, but I'm not going to accuse someone of lying just because my product is working fine. Sometimes I think these people r hired by the manufacturers. I see the same on almost every forum I visits, which r mainly tech and car forums.

When people make claims which have no crediibility, people let them know the claim is not beleivable. Phones don't just break all by themselves. It's not a credible claim. I'm glad she got her phone replaced for free, but I don't believe her story for a moment. It's reason and logic.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Love the naysayers who will argue you to the death that you are 100% at fault for all issues with their beloved iPhone. Their voids must be deep and wide.

Glass doesn't crack itself without any form of abuse. You do realise that a drop, knock or whatever can weaken it, causing it spontaneously crack weeks or months later. If the phone can survive shipping from China, the glass was/is fine when bought.

Just because it's cracked when it was in your pocket, doesn't mean it wasn't the owner's fault. I spent roughly 2 years servicing iPhones, and with the exception of the receiver/home button ones I mentioned above, I never saw a "mysterious self cracking" phone that, under inspection with a magnifying glass, didn't have a minor dent, chip or impact mark in a related place to the crack. It doesn't happen.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
When people make claims which have no crediibility, people let them know the claim is not beleivable. Phones don't just break all by themselves. It's not a credible claim. I'm glad she got her phone replaced for free, but I don't believe her story for a moment. It's reason and logic.

Right. Where in your logical mind is it 100% impossible to have manufacturing flaws? All defects in glass are user error? This is illogical. :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Right. Where in your logical mind is it 100% impossible to have manufacturing flaws? All defects in glass are user error? This is illogical. :rolleyes:

If there was a manufacturing defect in glass that thin - it would never make it through the shipping process from China without cracking in the box, and would therefore be cracked out of the box - thus making cracking spontaneously in your pocket due to some manufacturing fault impossible.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
If there was a manufacturing defect in glass that thin - it would never make it through the shipping process from China without cracking in the box, and would be cracked out of the box.

You are ill informed. The glass has a metal frame attached that adds stress. The crack was at the weakest point and followed the path of least resistance. Spontaneous glass breakage can and does occur for a multitude of reasons.

----------

I never saw a "mysterious self cracking" phone that, under inspection with a magnifying glass, didn't have a minor dent, chip or impact mark in a related place to the crack.

Oh well that proves it. You have not seen it. Case closed. :rolleyes:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Just from ur wording in ur OP I am almost 100% certain that u dropped it. No one would ever say "I didnt drop the phone because the bezel and chamfered edge are not damaged". You'd say simply "I didnt drop my phone".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.