iPhone 5 screen cracked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Although my iPhone is still under warranty I don't think apple cover this,

so a)

how much do they charge?

b) is there a a cheaper option as I'm not in a good financial position right now

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea. Assuming not if it's an extra you buy. I bought my iPhone from Apple though, not on contract.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

If you didn't buy AppleCare + at the time! this is going to cost you 269 $

You could find a third party shop that fix it for you for less money, but it will void your warranty.

5. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

How would they know the screen is replaced?

I can't afford that!

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Because they are not going to use original parts ...

7. Nick A macrumors regular

Honestly just buy the screen itself for ~$60 from a reputable website and fix it yourself. It's really easy to do if you have some patience.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Very dangerous if he lacks experience .... If you have to void the warranty, let some professionals do it for you

9. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I thought apple charged $150 to replace screens on in warranty phones while the $269 is for a complete phone replacement?

10. moneymike0284 macrumors member

If it's anything like the 4s then it's actually pretty easy. There's about 120 tiny screws to unscrew that you have to remember where to put back though. Me and my friend drank and fixed his 4s and everything went really well. Except the 5 or so screws we didn't put back in lol.

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

2 years ago they charged me 300 for a cracked screen on a 4S

12. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

13. rgctx macrumors regular

Your warranty won't be voided unless they know it was replaced.

The only way they will know is if you have it serviced and they take it apart at the Apple store, if you take it in for some other issue a Genius won't know it is not a OEM screen, but if there are signs of it being replaced then they will know. Basically if there are any marks on your phone showing obvious repair it will pop up a red flag.

----------

Is it a 5 or 5s ?

The only issue with screen replacement is that most of the "cheap" replacement shops only offer a 30 Day warranty on the screen itself. I have seen replacement as low as $99, but as high as $169 with a lifetime warranty.

The other downside is that this is a cheap aftermarket replacement screen, so it won't be as crisp and clean as a apple supplier one.

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Chicken Little, chill. It's very easy. If you can't do it, which you can, take it to the mall. Most places charge $80. No 'genius' will know the difference if you take it in later.

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1c3f49b260

15. bridic macrumors newbie

You should be able to get it repaired between $80-90 and will take less than an hour.