iPhone 5 screen cracked

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Although my iPhone is still under warranty I don't think apple cover this,

so a)

how much do they charge?

b) is there a a cheaper option as I'm not in a good financial position right now

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No idea. Assuming not if it's an extra you buy. I bought my iPhone from Apple though, not on contract.
If you didn't buy AppleCare + at the time! this is going to cost you 269 $

You could find a third party shop that fix it for you for less money, but it will void your warranty.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012

You could find a third party shop that fix it for you for less money, but it will void your warranty.
How would they know the screen is replaced?

I can't afford that!

Nick A

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Honestly just buy the screen itself for ~$60 from a reputable website and fix it yourself. It's really easy to do if you have some patience.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Honestly just buy the screen itself for ~$60 from a reputable website and fix it yourself. It's really easy to do if you have some patience.
Very dangerous if he lacks experience .... If you have to void the warranty, let some professionals do it for you

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL

I thought apple charged $150 to replace screens on in warranty phones while the $269 is for a complete phone replacement?

moneymike0284

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
If it's anything like the 4s then it's actually pretty easy. There's about 120 tiny screws to unscrew that you have to remember where to put back though. Me and my friend drank and fixed his 4s and everything went really well. Except the 5 or so screws we didn't put back in lol.

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
How would they know the screen is replaced?

I can't afford that!
Your warranty won't be voided unless they know it was replaced.

The only way they will know is if you have it serviced and they take it apart at the Apple store, if you take it in for some other issue a Genius won't know it is not a OEM screen, but if there are signs of it being replaced then they will know. Basically if there are any marks on your phone showing obvious repair it will pop up a red flag.

----------

Although my iPhone is still under warranty I don't think apple cover this,

so a)

how much do they charge?

b) is there a a cheaper option as I'm not in a good financial position right now
Is it a 5 or 5s ?

The only issue with screen replacement is that most of the "cheap" replacement shops only offer a 30 Day warranty on the screen itself. I have seen replacement as low as $99, but as high as $169 with a lifetime warranty.

The other downside is that this is a cheap aftermarket replacement screen, so it won't be as crisp and clean as a apple supplier one.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

bridic

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
You should be able to get it repaired between $80-90 and will take less than an hour.