iPhone 5 screen scratches from the inside?

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I'm using my phone naked and I'm relatively careful with my electronic devices. Just now I noticed a 4 cm long hairline scratch on my screen, which is oddly ONLY visible when the screen is off, and under some angles + bright light. The scratch does not affect the quality of the screen whatsoever. I tried to rub the screen with cloth but it's not dirt or anything. It's strange that I can't 'feel' the scratch, it's as if the screen cracked from the inside. Tomorrow I might slam a screen protector and move on, but anyone cares to explain?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
A little odd. I wouldn't be concerned that you can't feel it. I've never used an iPhone without a screen protector anyway. That'll solve your problem for sure. :cool:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How can we explain a scratch we cannot see on a phone we do not have?

The phone got scratched somehow. I would do what you said you were going to do and that is toss a screen protector on it and move along.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What the OP describes is not off at all. Every used iPhone I've ever set my hands on (dozens) has had some hairlines scratching. It's basically normal wear and tear. Dust, dirt, sand, etc enticing ably gets in our pockets and purses and causes these micro scratches. You can't feel it because your finger isn't sensitive enough to feel a minuscule scratch like this. If you have a vehicle that's a couple of years old, especially where they sand/salt the roads, you will see this in your windshield too. Rub your fingers against it. I guarantee you won't feel that either. Same difference.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It's not actually the glass that's scratched. It's the oleophobic coating, that's why you can't feel it with your fingernail.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Never understood why folks place so much time on finding things like this. If it doesn't affect the device during use. Then it's a non issue.

OP, don't know what to tell you about why its there but I wouldn't worry. Just enjoy your iPhone.