iPhone 5 screen scratches from the inside?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickPhamUK, May 21, 2013.

1. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I'm using my phone naked and I'm relatively careful with my electronic devices. Just now I noticed a 4 cm long hairline scratch on my screen, which is oddly ONLY visible when the screen is off, and under some angles + bright light. The scratch does not affect the quality of the screen whatsoever. I tried to rub the screen with cloth but it's not dirt or anything. It's strange that I can't 'feel' the scratch, it's as if the screen cracked from the inside. Tomorrow I might slam a screen protector and move on, but anyone cares to explain?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

A little odd. I wouldn't be concerned that you can't feel it. I've never used an iPhone without a screen protector anyway. That'll solve your problem for sure. :cool:

3. jinuzoul macrumors newbie

I'd go back again to Broome for the jewelry & beaches.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How can we explain a scratch we cannot see on a phone we do not have?

The phone got scratched somehow. I would do what you said you were going to do and that is toss a screen protector on it and move along.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

people will find what they look for

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What the OP describes is not off at all. Every used iPhone I've ever set my hands on (dozens) has had some hairlines scratching. It's basically normal wear and tear. Dust, dirt, sand, etc enticing ably gets in our pockets and purses and causes these micro scratches. You can't feel it because your finger isn't sensitive enough to feel a minuscule scratch like this. If you have a vehicle that's a couple of years old, especially where they sand/salt the roads, you will see this in your windshield too. Rub your fingers against it. I guarantee you won't feel that either. Same difference.

8. maynsx macrumors newbie

I've never used an iPhone without a screen protector anyway.[​IMG]

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's not actually the glass that's scratched. It's the oleophobic coating, that's why you can't feel it with your fingernail.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Never understood why folks place so much time on finding things like this. If it doesn't affect the device during use. Then it's a non issue.

OP, don't know what to tell you about why its there but I wouldn't worry. Just enjoy your iPhone.