iPhone 5 screen showing interference!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daftbrush, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Daftbrush macrumors newbie

Whilst typing my password in to download an app on my iPhone 5 I noticed a red interference, like you would get on a TV flashing with broken lines accross the keyboard part in portrait mode. It lasted for a few seconds and I was unable to take a screen shot in time. There was no other electrical device around and I've never seen anything like this on any of my previous iPhones. Very worrying.

Do you think I should take it to the Apple store and get them to replace it? I bought it via my phone service provider (Orange) so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or could this just be an isolated problem?

2. unknownbeing macrumors 6502

It's an iOS 6 thing. Others have reported this on 4S' too after the upgrade.

3. blackbear219 macrumors regular

One time I had a few pixel height rows of "static" go across the top row of my keyboard when I was typing a text message. Almost like there was a loose connection or something, hard to explain. But I haven't seen it since so no harm no foul.

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

It’s happening to me too. I wouldn’t worry about it now. I had an apple visit and they acknowledged the glitch and offered the trade. It also started to do it on my 4s. It has to be a software issue. I kept my flawless (hardware) black i5 and said I’ll wait for the iOS update. I think it’ll be addressed soon. If not, I’ll turn it in.

5. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Are you guys referring to this glitch effect?

http://youtu.be/ZdAa0FUz3R4

I had this happen about 3 hours ago but it was across the ASDFGHJKL row of keys. Then an hour ago, it happened again and that's when I took my wife's iPhone 4 to make a video of it. As soon as I touch a key, the artifacts go away. I'm really hoping this is a software issue because my phone is visually flawless so I don't want to swap it out.

6. italeki macrumors regular

Laser line on left side of iPhone 5 screen

Apple told me to do a restore, but it did not help. I had to swap mine at the Apple store. Thank God they had a replacement.

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Happens to me occasionally as well. I don't think it's a hardware issue. Also, if this is as bad as it gets and only happens once in a while, it doesn't really bother me.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You'd think with one major OS update a year and not even a major one at that this time around there wouldn't be as many issues. But my god someone should be fired for iOS 6.

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Very similar to the video. Did you notice it went away once tapping the grid? It's a software issue. No return for me. I'll wait for the update

10. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Yeah the distortions disappear as soon as I touch the affected areas.

11. Propjock172 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I have the iPhone 5 and have noticed in the last few weeks about a half dozen times, jagged colored lines go across the display at random places. Usually very brief and like someone else stated, haven't been able to get a screen capture. I have also experienced the "white static" as shown in the YT video. Is the general consensus that this is an OS situation? I really don't want to trade in my i5 as I know it would be replaced with a white box model. I know how mine has been treated since the day I got it.

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm pretty sure in other threads, people have stated having the same issue on other devices running iOS 6. So I would say its an OS glitch and not hardware. If that is the only problem with your iP5, I would not exchange it.

13. Propjock172 macrumors newbie

Thanks Vast. That is the sense I was getting too... guess I'll just ride out the storm like others and hope that .1 is released soon and it addresses the issue at hand.