iPhone 5 screen turning on headphone volume

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheppy1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys,

I've just noticed something with my iPhone 5, when I use the volume controls on the headphones, the screen turns itself on..I don't remember this happening on my older iPhones..is this supposed to happen?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Yes.

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Fair enough then..thanks :) just seemed strange that this would happen when the phone would be in a pocket while the volume controls would be being used so the screen wouldn't need to turn on..

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Don't have an iPhone 5 but my 4S doesn't do this...

5. Mellisaray macrumors regular

6. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

That's strange then!! I wonder why mine is doing it? :-/ could it be a fault with the phone?

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Using my Klipsch Image S4i headphones, the screen stays off when adjusting volume, changing track, etc. It only lights up when I activate Siri.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It could depend on the version of iPhone 5 and/or carrier. In Europe, as I recall, there are some sort of volume limits that are in play (per some law/regulation), so due to something like that it might be necessary to display the volume level (and indicate higher levels in different color) each time volume is changed, compared to another version, like a US one, for example.

9. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Ahhhh that would make sense as my phones does exactly what you say! It indicates the level of volume in different colours..are you in the UK and does yours do that? Thanks for the info btw! :D

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm actually in US and my phone doesn't do that, but I've read a number of threads where people talked about the colored volume controls and other related differences, ultimately attributing them to certain regulatory requirements that exist in some areas (like Europe).

11. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

It is the "EU volume something". It's normal for the iPhone 5's that are in Europe.

12. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Mystery solved I think guys! Glad it's not a defect with my phone :p thanks for everyones replies :)