Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi guys,

I've just noticed something with my iPhone 5, when I use the volume controls on the headphones, the screen turns itself on..I don't remember this happening on my older iPhones..is this supposed to happen?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Hi guys,

I've just noticed something with my iPhone 5, when I use the volume controls on the headphones, the screen turns itself on..I don't remember this happening on my older iPhones..is this supposed to happen?

Yes.

Comment

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough then..thanks :) just seemed strange that this would happen when the phone would be in a pocket while the volume controls would be being used so the screen wouldn't need to turn on..

Comment

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
That's strange then!! I wonder why mine is doing it? :-/ could it be a fault with the phone?

Comment

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Using my Klipsch Image S4i headphones, the screen stays off when adjusting volume, changing track, etc. It only lights up when I activate Siri.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It could depend on the version of iPhone 5 and/or carrier. In Europe, as I recall, there are some sort of volume limits that are in play (per some law/regulation), so due to something like that it might be necessary to display the volume level (and indicate higher levels in different color) each time volume is changed, compared to another version, like a US one, for example.

Comment

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
It could depend on the version of iPhone 5 and/or carrier. In Europe, as I recall, there are some sort of volume limits that are in play (per some law/regulation), so due to something like that it might be necessary to display the volume level (and indicate higher levels in different color) each time volume is changed, compared to another version, like a US one, for example.

Ahhhh that would make sense as my phones does exactly what you say! It indicates the level of volume in different colours..are you in the UK and does yours do that? Thanks for the info btw! :D

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ahhhh that would make sense as my phones does exactly what you say! It indicates the level of volume in different colours..are you in the UK and does yours do that? Thanks for the info btw! :D
I'm actually in US and my phone doesn't do that, but I've read a number of threads where people talked about the colored volume controls and other related differences, ultimately attributing them to certain regulatory requirements that exist in some areas (like Europe).

Comment

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Mystery solved I think guys! Glad it's not a defect with my phone :p thanks for everyones replies :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.