iPhone 5 scroll locking

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by laudern, Feb 17, 2013.

1. laudern macrumors 6502a

I didnt know whether to post this in ios or iphone forum but i figure it might be more to do with the software??

Anyway here is the issue.

If i put my finger on the screen and start scrolling vertically or horizontally, the scrolling direction will "lock" into that motion. So If i scroll down and try to slightly scroll to the left/right, the webpage will not scroll left or right.

And the same thing for if I am scrolling horizontally. If I am scrolling left and try to flick up the page, it will not do anything.

I need to take my finger off the phone put it back on and then scroll the direction I want to go.

If I put my finger on the phone and straight away do a circle motion I can then scroll in any which way, but as soon as I go scroll in one direction for too long it will 'lock" the scrolling and to change to horizontal scrolling, i need to take the finger off.

Is this normal???

2. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

On further inspection I have found I need to wait for the slider bars to disappear before I can put my finger on the screen again to slide in a different direction. If I try while the slider bar is still visible it will be locked in the direction I was scrolling previously

3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Completely natural; the behaviour is actually patented by Apple.

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

This is so that if you are scrolling down a page with one hand, you can keep scrolling without accidentally moving to the side and seeing the other bits.... Patented innovation :) Haha

5. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

On deer. It's terrible. I can't believe not more has been said about it

6. alexander25 macrumors regular

i, and probably everyone else, actually like this feature..

when you're scrolling on a big page, you would end up scrolling diagonally every time because your finger doesn't move straight down all the time.

7. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hunmm ok. Do you know when this got introduced? I had a 3G with whatever that latest iOS4 was on it and now the iPhone 5