iphone 5 second hand purchase

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bhavesh92, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bhavesh92 macrumors newbie

hii there, i have bought iphone 5 it is factory unlocked from usa i purchased it second hand in india i am not able to software update my phone (currently ios6).. it is also jailbroken (cydia).. and also i am not able to reset my phone it just hangs for 40 odd minutes then i have to hard restart... questions are : 1.if i update to ios7 through itunes will it cause some problems as it is jailbreak.(as said by everyone) 2.if i restore to factory settings will it get locked again (as i am not sure whether this is carrier unlocked or unlocked by my local retailer).
    I am ready to remove jailbreak.
    pls advice

2. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Doing an iTunes restore will make the iphone completely stock and normal ios 7.0.4

The unlock will stay if it is indeed factory, if it is a gevey or similar sim unlock you may have issues.

3. bhavesh92 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what i am really not sure about..i was really dumb to buy an second hand iphone without having look about all these things..but yaa in terms of tech i am smart person..
    so is there any way to find out that whether my phone is really factory unlocked or a third party unlock.. ?
    bcos the person who sold phone to me is vanished. not to be found anywhere.:(:(:(

4. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

There would be a funky looking Sim tray or extra piece in the Sim card slot. It is a physical piece of hardware in the Sim slot

I dont think whether it is a carrier or factory unlock matters.

5. bhavesh92 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what should i do next ? bcos i have very hardly managed to buy this expensive phone i wont mind if i just get stuck to this ios, i mean i would love to use ios6.0.1 the current one on my phone.
    i would only like to update to ios7 if it will not cause any issues..bcos my parents would kill me if i ****up this phone.
    you have been really helpful.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I'm thinking you are safe but i can't vouch for it :-/

7. bhavesh92 thread starter macrumors newbie

most of them are claimiing that i have factory unlocked phone bcos i can use my local simcard (vodafone) in this phone and it is working absolutely fine with downloads whatsapp calls and everything.