iPhone 5 shuts down with the battery at 40%

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by msvadi, Nov 1, 2014.

1. msvadi, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

msvadi macrumors regular

I'm having issues with my iPhone 5. It regularly shuts down with the battery being far from 0%. When I took it to the apple store, a "genius" said that the battery is fine and restored the phone to the factory settings. I set it up as new without touching the backup (with iOS 8), but the iPhone keeps shutting down with a half charged battery. If anythings, the problem only became worse with iOS 8.1. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it.

Here's the battery info from iBackupBot:

CycleCount: 368
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1200

The iPhone is out of the warranty and is not eligible for battery replacement. Another issue I have is that the home button often responds with a delay, but I don't know if it's related to the main problem.

Thanks

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

This occurred with my 5 after a year and a half. It would just shut off. When plugging in the charger, it would start up, and show +/- 50%. I was told by an  Genius that this occurred because I'd charged it nearly 700 times. ???

3. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Were you able to fix your phone? I used to plug my iPhone into the charger every night, I don't know if that affected its performance. Nevertheless, all the tests show that the battery is okay:

CycleCount: 368
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1200

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the phone is shutting off at 40%, the battery needs to be replaced.

5. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but my main concern is if something else can be responsible for this behaviour? Since the phone is out of warranty, I don't want to spend money on replacing the battery just to find out that the battery is not the culprit. And so far tests have shown that the battery is okay.

6. Tarheeldiver macrumors newbie

Is your 5 not covered under the battery recall?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The behavior you're describing is almost always attributed to a bad battery.

Check to see if you're eligable for the battery replacement program.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

8. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

No, unfortunately it's not covered.

----------

I see, thanks.