iPhone 5 shutting itself off all the time.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Emil19, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Emil19 macrumors newbie

Hello, my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.3 has been acting very weird lately and I'm looking for some advice on how to solve my issue.

It has been turning itself off every now and then for a week and a half now. Yesterday the time between the restarts just became less and less for every restart and now it doesn't even finish the startup process.

When I connect my charger it's stuck in a loop of trying to startup for 3 seconds then shutting off and trying again.

Why is the phone restarting all the time? I tried doing a reset a week ago but it's not any different. I can't get the phone to start so I can't do anything in itunes or on the phone.

Is it hardware or software related? If hardware related what part is messed up?

2. Viacalkins, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Viacalkins macrumors newbie

It's hard to tell if it's a hardware problem or a software problem without turning the phone on.

Try this first: when the phone is off, hold the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for up to 20 seconds. If your phone successfully turns on (and remains on), it'll prompt you to plug your phone into iTunes to restore it. From there you'll be able to (or somebody else will be, anyway) properly diagnose the problem(s).

Keep us updated.

Thanks,
    Thomas

3. Emil19 thread starter macrumors newbie

I borrowed my dads charger, plugged the phone into my mac and it managed to start up.

The phone is still turning itself off. But I have access to it now.

How should I fix the turning off issue?