iPhone 5 side swipe sensitivity

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bookmaniac, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bookmaniac macrumors newbie

Anyone noticed that iPhone 5 side swipe( e.g. swipe to toggle on-off control in in Settings->Notifications or Settings->Do Not Disturb) seems a lot less sensitive compare to 4/4S ?

Specifically, on 5 you have to be swiping a smooth long movement (no flick) in straight horizontal line to toggle on-off, whereas on 4 the swipe could be very brief flick and still work at slightly angled line.

You could experience this by trying to toggle on-off control quickly and repeatedly.

2. natheyshaw macrumors newbie

Yes! I thought it was broken - works for me about 1 out of 20 times and its getting frustrating. Have tried your tip about long straight strokes instead of flicking, but still can't get it work everytime. Really poor.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

You can just tap the toggle and it should switch.

4. natheyshaw macrumors newbie

Holy crap - it works, and I feel stupid. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :)

5. bookmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that work too but swipe is more natural (for me at least).
    Anyhow, I've now tracked in down to iOS 6 "issues" rather than iPhone 5, i.e. I get the same behaviour on 4S running iOS 6 but not on iPhone4 running IOS 5.

Looks like iOS 6 is less forgiving when it comes to swipe. Maybe this is deliberate to avoid accidental swipe.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This.

More natural? That's cool. But it's not swipe to toggle, it was made for tap to toggle, so I wouldn't exactly call it an issue. If swiping doesn't work as well with options interface liked that on your iPhone 5 and iOS 6 then I would call that more of a fix as it would seem that decreases the chance of an unsuccessful toggle tap.