iPhone 5 silent switch broken what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Jan 28, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So it's jacked up on me just noticed it recently. If I have it off its fine, but if I put it to silent any slight tap or bump of the button while switched to silent it'll bounce back and forth between on and off. I am out of warranty as I got my iPhone in September of 2012.

Do you guys think I should make a genius appt and see what they tell me? It shouldn't hurt right, will probably ask them what it'd cost to have it replaced?!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Of course, why wouldn't you take it in? There is a chance they'll fix it for free, and it isn't going to cost anything to have them look at it.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

$269 for OOW repairs.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure if you're jailbroken, but there is an app that you can use for that switch. Not a perfect solution, as it requires a jailbreak, but it does work.

5. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I had same thing happen on my 5S, took it in, they replaced on the spot.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Any chance you purchased it using Amex or equivalent with extended warranty?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's because your 5S is still covered under the 1 year warranty.
    His iphone 5 is out of warranty so they wont have to fix or replace it for free.
    But its worth a try. Most Apple stores now do repairs so instead of paying the full $269 to get a replacement phone they might just replace the switch and charge you just for that.

8. willdude macrumors member

So were you able to get this switch replaced/fixed at an Apple Store? If so, how much did it run you? Mine's been doing the same recently, and though it appears you can buy replacement parts from iFixit and such, it seems more difficult than I'm willing to attempt.