Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reavercs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I've noticed a peculiar issue that has only presented itself about 3-4 times since I received my phone last Friday.

When in Silent mode, the phone appears to glitch up and vibrate while showing the Silent Alarm picture. As if I had just put it into silent mode even though I haven't touched anything but the screen. I haven't seen anyone report on this and I would like to replace the phone but I doubt I could prove this to the genius bar since it occurs so randomly.

Any ideas?

Chiefhosa

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
I am experiencing the same issue. As much as I probably shouldn't, I can press in different locations on the phone and make the phone vibrate and have the notification appear when it is already in silent mode. I can even make it do this while in an Otter Box. I am a little concerned because it misleads me to think I have a text or email. I can only imagine others are experiencing the same issue. My iPhone 5 is a black 32gb. Is this something apple should replace?

Izzyc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I have the same issue! I vibrates all the time for no reason ! I thought I was going crazy thinking I had email , text or something and nothing .. Then it started vibrating while holding it. I thought my otter box might have been pressing something and I think the silent button is loose as I barely touch it and it vibrates, specially when it is moved to the silent position..
My question is, do I take it to the Verizon store where I bought the phone or to the Genius Bar ? I would think they would replace it since I have I only had the phone less than a month??

swaldrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I have the same issue with my 5, it's become pretty frequent lately. It happens at least three times a day now. I'm taking it to the Genius Bar this week. I know there's a similar issue with the 4/4s where pressure on the top left of the screen will activate the silent switch. This glitch seems to not have any specific trigger, it happens in my pocket, in my hand, while on a call etc.

swaldrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I think I may have found a way to fix this bug. Have any of you tried a hard/forced reboot of your phone? I did it yesterday after having the vibration issue happen at least 15 times that day and now it seems to have disappeared. Just hold down the power and home buttons simultaneously for 6-10 seconds until the apple logo appears on your screen. This worked for me!

mikochu

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I also have this problem. I've tried rebooting, changing Vibrate modes, disabling Do Not Disturb, trying to pinpoint when it happens, etc. I think it started after 6.0.1. I'm going to try to restore 6.0.1 (non-update version) and go from there. I've got a Genius Bar appointment on Saturday...I'll try to keep you posted.

mikochu

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
So, I installed 6.0.1, played with it plain-vanilla and it still had the issue. I brought it to the Apple Store and after explaining the issue, they gave me a replacement iPhone 5. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

Also, when it woud flicker on/off Mute Mode, I could rub the top of the mute switch and volume buttons and it would switch in and out of Mute.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So, I installed 6.0.1, played with it plain-vanilla and it still had the issue. I brought it to the Apple Store and after explaining the issue, they gave me a replacement iPhone 5. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

Also, when it woud flicker on/off Mute Mode, I could rub the top of the mute switch and volume buttons and it would switch in and out of Mute.
I am having this exact same issue. If my phone is switched to silent mode it'll spazz out on/off silent constantly. I am out of warranty as I purchased my iPhone 5 in September 2012.

What do you guys think I should do? If I make a genius appt even though I'm out of warranty do you guys think they'll swap it for me (couldn't hurt right)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.