iPad iPhone 5 SIM card in iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quagmire, Jan 10, 2014.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My iPad Air randomly displayed the, " No SIM installed" message and invalid SIM up where the signal strength normally is. I tried resetting the iPad and reset the network settings with no success.

Before taking it into the Apple Store, I want to see if it is the SIM card that went bust or something is wrong with the iPad Air. I want to simply take the SIM from my iPhone 5 and put it into the iPad Air( both Verizon models) just to see if the iPad Air will recognize the card and it will go right back into the iPhone. Will that mess anything up with either device?

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Short answer is no. I would first pull the current sim and be sure that it is seated correctly in the tray and then carefully reinsert it into the pad.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I will try that as well. I just need to find a paperclip.

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Well I took it into the Verizon store, guy put in a sim card, and they couldn't get it to work. Apparently there system can't switch over my pre-paid account over to the new sim. Freaking useless.....

5. Jasonkrick macrumors member

From what I was told...

Verizon phone SIM card will not work with an iPad.

If that were the case, I would have popped in my unlimited data SIM card into an iPad since I have a spare unlimited data plan line.

6. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

No, it shouldn't do anything harmful to the device whether software or hardware wise. If it detects it it will possibly display the network you're on IF the SIM plan is compatible with a mobile data only device.

I believe the iPad is fussy this way or it's the carriers and carrier profile. iPad is not a phone so putting a phone SIM in may not work - but it will NOT do any harm.

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

So will Apple be able to do anything? I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow. I don't want to waste another trip.....

The iPad recognized my iPhone 5's sim card and displayed signal strength and LTE.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

That's normal but data won't work.

9. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

That's fine. I was mostly testing it to see if the problem was the iPad or the SIM card. Since the iPad recognized my iPhone's sim card, it is a SIM card problem which Verizon apparently can't deal with their own pre-pay plans......