iPhone 5 SIM in new iPhone 6 OK (AT&T)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmylrea, Sep 19, 2014.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I got my iPhone 6 at BestBuy today and got moved to a counter back in the computer section to speed things up with the crowd (even though there really wasn't a crowd and I was already first in line and when moved to the back, had to wait even longer).

Of course, the guys back there were not "mobile-trained" and kept radio-ing to the mobile guys questions. I asked if I could just take the SIM out of my iPhone 5 and put it in my iPhone 6 and they said it should work, so I did, and it seems to work (even my account on attwireless.com shows I have an iPhone 6). They didn't do anything in their system to activate my iPhone other than me put my SIM card in and turn it on. iMessaging works, data, visual voicemail, etc.

Later today, I get a TXT from ATT saying that I need a new SIM card because I may not have access to all services if I use the existing SIM.

I've read a little, and that may mean NFC. What else might I be missing by not using the actual SIM card that came with the 6?

Thanks.

2. ebika macrumors 6502

I put my iPhone 5 sim in my 6, got the same text from AT&T, and have the same question as you. So far, it's been working fine for me too.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Is the carrier actually involved with the NFC payments thing? I figured they needn't be, seeing as payments are between you, the banks, and Apple.

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I called At&t today after receiving my iPhone 6 and asked could I just swap the sim card from my 5S to the 6, I was told that it would work with no issues. Since mine was a cross upgrade, I did go ahead and have her put the iPhone 6 with the correct phone number. I don't know if she did something on her end other then assign the iPhone 6 to the correct number, but I am using my 5S sim and have not received the text that has been previously mentioned. It might not hurt to go ahead and give At&t a call though, just because one rep told me it would be fine, doesn't mean another won't tell you something different!

5. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I wish the TXT msg would have had a URL or something for more details.

The last thing I want to do is have to call ATT on iPhone Day.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I bought my phone contract free and moved my sim card from the 5 to the 6. I also got that text. I've been using my iPhone 6 all day, both on cellular and Wifi, with no issues.

I wonder if the new sim card is needed to enable VoLTE. I notice my voice calls still go out over UMTS (the "4G" indicator appears). Is VoLTE live on AT&T yet?

7. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

On my AT&T iPhone 6 under Settings/Cellular there is a LTE setting and it says VOICE/DATA. I can chose off or Data only, too.