iPhone 5 sleep/wake button failing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EsTriFee, Apr 20, 2014.

1. EsTriFee, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

EsTriFee macrumors newbie

I have an Iphone 5 which even thou had it's flaws all seem to be worked out by the software updates. However recently [over a month] the sleep/wake button on the top started to be unresponsive.. sometimes it takes forever to lock it.. [ as in 20 tries] I did search the forum and found that there seems to have been a problem for quite a few people since pushing it on the left side actually works, but not the right one.

The question is: I don't have apple care on my phone and it's outside of the 1 year apple warranty, but i live in Europe and we should be getting 2 years coverage, so would this be entitled for apple to fix, or am I stuck with a defective unit?

The closest apple store is 4 hours away give or take.. probably more. So would love to get this issue resolved other than going into it.

I have contacted apple due to issues with the phone before.. and honestly didn't like the service whatsoever as the guy pitched the idea of buying applecare 5+ times in a 8 minute conversation and basically said that the phone might end up not being repaired and I still would end up paying for sending it in.

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

Can you call the Apple store and talk to them about it?

3. EsTriFee thread starter macrumors newbie

I might give it a shot, however the shop is in UK since Ireland has no official stores and I'll only have time to go there in a months time. I did buy the phone in the apple online store. [ for those who would say that the reseller should deal with this]

4. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

That worked for me for a little while. Now the lock button is completely unresponsive.

5. Bbafett macrumors regular

I ordered a replacement flex cable from ifixit and had my wife install it. Pretty intensive repair as almost everything comes out to replace that cable. If it clicks it is the cable and not the button. Mine works perfect after the replacement. She is a computer repair person so used to dealing with electronics. I was tired of dealing with my button issue. Taking out the battery was the hardest part.