Iphone 5 slide to unlock doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rob99fla, Dec 16, 2014.

1. rob99fla, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

rob99fla macrumors newbie

My daughters iphone 5 wouldn't slide to unlock. I have fitted a new screen (I have done a few) but the problem is exactly the same. It seems that when you press the power button and swipe the slide to unlock, nothing happens. If I press the power button twice, all works ok and then the phone seems OK but then I cannot swipe to answer calls and also cannot switch off. Doesn't sound like hardware to me but maybe it is. Ive done a complete recovery by connecting to a pc. It's still the same every time. It's running iOS 8.1. Of course, it was working fine. This fault suddenly came on. I'm not sure if she did any updates that brought on this problem. I can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem. Any solutions out there? thanks in advance. Rob

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

The bottom portion of the screen doesn't work. I've seen that happen. But you already put a 3rd party display so apple won't be able to help. I'd suggest trying another display

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well since you're using a third party display...I'm not surprised.

Why not just send it off to the Apple Store and have the screen replaced by them? And shell out some quid for it?

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to echo others but its the screen and not the OS. Not sure how much money you will end up saving in the end anyways.

5. rob99fla thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work

Hi. Fitted a new genuine screen (complete assemble. Just plugged in the 3 cables). Still doesn't slide to unlock unless power button pressed twice as before but now it slides to switch off OK!! How strange is that? Something wrong with this phone. Yet to try with a sim and a call. Any more ideas? I seem to remember my daughter saying it went wrong after a software update. Does this help? Regards. Rob

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Sorry Rob. This is really weird. Try these though I have a feeling these won't help. Good luck!

- Check to make sure that you are running the latest version of iOS.
    - Hard reset your device by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake (on/off) button and the Home button together until the Apple logo appears
    - Restore from backup in iTunes by connecting your device to a computer. (Back up your device first)

7. rob99fla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the assistance. My daughter seems to think it went wrong after an update. I am going to try to install an earlier firmware using Tiny Umbrella. I have done this before on an old iPhone 3. Any tips would be welcome anyway. The fault is just too consistent to be anything else I think. Its the second screen and this one is genuine Apple and complete so just needed the 3 ribbon cables connected. Anyway, it is not much use as it is so its worth a try. Thanks for the help everyone. Rob

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you can't buy a genuine screen from apple. they have to install it themselves. plus you had a 3rd party display before. apple will deny you service at the genius bar. so theres no way you have an original apple display right now.

9. rob99fla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. The reputable supplier assured me it was oem and they have a very good reputation in the UK. I have and never have had any plans to take the iPhone to a genius bar anyway. I'm just trying to get a but of info from anybody that has had the same problem and found a cure. Perhaps sending to Apple would have fixed it but that would cost more than the phones worth, I expect. You clearly don't know what the problem is so your advice is not actually very helpful. It's more like "told you so" type of advice

10. Chatter macrumors 6502a

What a pain! I am really curious so if the restore works, let me know here.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Actually I do know the problem because I was a tech at the Genius Bar. There is no way a 3rd party would have access to oem apple displays. And since you have a 3rd party display apple will not even put on a screen now even if you paid. Your only luck is to try another screen and a restore to factory settings. If not you are out of luck

12. Esentis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    First of, I'm almost sure it's not the screen's issue.
    I just bought a brand new 5c and I have exactly the same problem! Almost every time the first slide to unlock doesn't work. I need to press the power button and back so it gets unstuck, I keep missing the calls because as you all know the twice power button during calls just declines the call. I used to had 4s which (before replacing with the current one) after updates started doing exactly the same thing. Both phones had the factory screen. Hard reset and backup does nothing permanently.

13. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Since it's brand new, you should be able to exchange it?

14. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

Had this happen on my old 5s after upgrading to 8.1.2 or 8.1.3 not sure which, the only fix was for me to downgrade to the previous firmware (at the time it was still being signed by Apple)

15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Try a full DFU restore, no backup put onto the device afterward. DFU will load an entirely new copy of iOS onto there, most thorough way to restore an iDevice as new.

16. Esentis macrumors newbie

So you say that its the device's fault...?

17. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Yes, a brand new phone that doesn't work correctly should be replaced.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I recall one of the recent iOS updates (8.3 or perhaps right before it) had some fixes around this kind of thing too.

19. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My boyfriend and I have this problem sporadically with both of our iPad Mini 1st gens. The solution we've found is to hard restart. These are the original displays as far as we know (both were bought used last year).

20. ScoobX macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Has anyone found a solution for this issue? I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 5 after upgrading to 9.2. I have to push the power button 3 time (on-off-on) before the slide to unlock works. After that the Phone is working as it should. So in my opinion it can't be an issue with the screen...