iPhone 5 slow wifi but speed test says otherwise

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ashenfang, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

Iphone 5 surfs great on LTE but on wifi, slow as all get out. I understand that some people were having problems with wifi connections hanging on but my problem isn't that the phone won't stay connected, rather its dog slow. I have full signal strength at my home and a speed test shows around 12mbps (what I pay for). However, when I try to browse, update email, ect its like the phone is on dial up. I have tried putting in manual DNS servers (google) but that has not had any affect. I have also installed the new 4.0.1 ios update as well. Any suggestions?

2. blaake macrumors regular

I'm not sure. I have not heard of this problem before. Maybe check your router connection settings?

3. benfica88 macrumors regular

Have this problem especially with YouTube. Sometimes reseting network settings fixes it, but issues seems to come back occasionally. Only occurs on iPhones, not iPads.

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

4.0.1 iOS? Do you mean 6.0.1?

I would advise a full reset then if possible test it in another free wifi hotspot, preferably your local Apple store.

5. feargone macrumors newbie

Yes, I have the same problem.
    Speedtest shows 14mbps download 1mbps upload but getting a lot of interruption in youtube streaming and spotify. I'm using iphone 5 with ios 6.0.1. My other ios devices (iphone 4s and ipad2) connected to same router do not have this issue.

6. smacman macrumors 6502

In my case I solved this problem by removing the custom DNS settings (was using Google DNS) from my router config. Apps download at full speed again now.

7. JamesWilliams12 macrumors member

You can just use Google’s DNS Services for this (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4), or follow the full process to find the fastest DNS servers. Either way, you should see an improvement.

How to find the fastest DNS Servers: Download NameBench on your Mac or PC and run it to discover the fastest DNS servers for your location, the test will only take a few minutes.

Take the best result and grab your iPhone 5.
    Open Settings, tap on “Wi-Fi”, and tap the blue arrow alongside the connected Wi-Fi network.
    Tap next to “DNS” to manually adjust the DNS entry. (Didn’t run NameBench? Try the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)Leave Settings and run Speed Test, browse the web or try any online based activity using the Wi-Fi connection. It should be noticeably faster.

The theory is that the whole problem is a compatibility issue between the iPhone 5 and certain routers. This could be why not everyone has the problem, (I haven’t had the problem… Yet.), and why the same iPhone 5 will have problems with one network, and yet work fine on another.