iPhone 5 slow WiFi downloading podcasts and apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WauloK, Dec 4, 2012.

1. WauloK macrumors newbie

Anyone else have this issue?

I set up my iPhone 5, my iPad Mini and my work Android phone to download the same podcast which is 54Mb in size.

I hit the DOWNLOAD button on all 3 quickly one after the other.

The iPad Mini downloaded the podcast in 1 minute 45 seconds.
    The Android phone downloaded the podcast in 2 minutes 15 seconds.
    The iPhone 5 downloaded the podcast in 25 minutes.

I took it to the George St Apple store.
    They reinstalled the 6.0.1 firmware. Same issue.
    They got me another phone. Same issue.
    They tested one of the Genius Bar guy's iPhone 5. Same issue.

They had no resolution and said it seems to be an iPhone 5 problem.

Apps from the App Store also download at an abysmal rate as agreed with the Genius Bar guy I saw.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try restarting the phone.
    Mine does the same and many others experience the same.
    It connects to my wifi but its slower than a turtle.
    Even though I got a 25mbps connection at home.
    It seems to be a hardware issue and replacements seem to have the same issues.
    I dont know what is worst the i5 wifi problems or the i4 proximity sensor issues where I would dial and hit numbers with my face while on a call.
    I dont know, I guess will have to wait for the 5S or the next iphone version to fix this wifi issues.
    Never had anything like that with any previous iphone models. Major wifi problems and some say it has to do with the encryption method. WPA2 doesnt work well but wep does. Why shouldnt my brand new iphone work with my wpa encrypted wifi where every other wifi device connects and works fine?
    Frustrated that I have to keep restarting my iphone 6-7 times a day or each time I want to use wifi:(

3. WauloK thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. No that won't help.

As I said this was tested on 3 different iPhone 5s instore.
    Mine was reflashed with the firmware. I'm sure it's been on and off many times.
    I've done Hard Resets. Standard off/on, etc.

Another reboot won't help ;)

Also used Forget Network and added it again and many other 'fixes'. None work.

4. Fredvs79 macrumors newbie

This sucks. I'm having similar iphone 5 wifi issues. Also problems where it says its connected to my wifi network, but really isn't. Come on Apple, you're letting me down!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks man.
    For me every time I have wifi connection problems as soon I turn off the phone and start it up again it connects and works fine with that particular router.
    Then a few hours later I leave and try at work and still not pulling data.
    Have to restart it again and works. Then back home later connect to my home wifi but no data or very slow data, another restart and works ok again for a few hours.
    So count like 5-6 restarts a day just to deal with wifi issues and access data over wifi.
    Its driving me nuts:D

6. MacSommers macrumors newbie

MacSommers

Yeah this sucks big time man. Can't believe they still haven't sorted this out. Was just this minute trying to download an 18MB podcast, and it was as slow as a wet weekend. I turned off Wi-Fi and switched to 3G (using a 4S) and BANG!!! downloaded in seconds.

Go figure...

7. jkkool macrumors member

jkkool

I dont say it happens with me all the time but it happens more often, sometime 200mb app downloads pretty quick and sometime 26 mb takes more than half an hour, same with podcasts, may be this is the issue with App store servers.:mad: