iPhone 5 softer "chamfer-safe" cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by anonymous guy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I've been carrying my iPhone 5 in a little microfiber pouch and figured it's about time to get a case.

But with reports of how fragile the chamfered edges of the iPhone 5 is, what are some good cases that are "softer" and easy to slip the phone in and out of?

Most cases out there tend of have fairly rigid plastics/rubber materials for durability's sake and to keep shape, however that rigidity does leave the chamfers prone to scratching when you slip the phone in and out of the case.

For reference, the last case design I used was the Griffin Reveal, however they don't have the etch design available that I used for my iPhone 4. The rubber banding used on that case was fairly soft, provided a good grip, and was easy to remove. I would have gotten this model if they offered an Etch version, but they do not at this time.

Any suggestions?

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Any of the TPU cases shouldn't scratch your chamfered edges as the TPU is rubbery and flexible. If you are looking for ultra thin (basically no drop protection) plastic, I highly recommend these cheapie cases. It takes awhile, two weeks to get them so patience is a must.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Ultra...699&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&sd=160885926175&

Attached Files:

3. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I'll likely end up getting some generic silicone slip case or TPU case soon.

4. eko91 macrumors regular

Thinnest/ Light Weight Case

This case seems to have good ratings, very affordable, and provides a good grip.

One of the reviewers wrote:
    "All I can say is that the material is soft and pliable, easy to apply and remove and gives you more grip. The cutouts sold me on this cover."
    Satisfied. Marc R. Parrish answered on February 18, 2015

Hope this post helps!

5. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Speck CandyShells have always been very good. Soft on the inside to prevent scratching, and really tight fit lets minimal dirt/dust get in.

6. Tzuten macrumors 6502

The problem with TPU cases on these edges (especially the black iPhone 5) is that debris, lint, and dirt become wedged in between the case and the phone which creates friction. Since the anodized aluminum on the iPhone 5 is so thin and scuffs easily, when I took my case off the edges were worn pretty bad. Really disappointing.

I recently got a warranty replacement that looks great, and I plan to use as my travel/international phone and I too am looking for a case that will not scuff the phone which it's supposed to protect. Any iPhone 5 owners have any good success with certain cases?