iPhone 5 sound only on one speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TriCube, Jan 5, 2013.

1. TriCube macrumors newbie

I just recently got an iPhone 5 through the Walmart holiday sale. However, after a few days, I've noticed that sound only comes out of one of the bottom speakers, the right one. If I cover up the right speaker, the sound is completely muffled, and if I cover up the left one, the sound is virtually unaltered.

Is this normal for iPhones? I don't understand why it would be, the speaker is there for a reason, yeah? But no matter what I play (music, alerts, games), no sound will come out of the left speaker.

Is this something worth contacting Apple over? I know there is the complementary 1 year warranty, but I'm not sure if that works the same since I bought it from Walmart.

I have the Verizon 16gb black iPhone 5, if that matters.

2. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Microphone

As far as I know, the iPhone 5 only has one speaker; the other grille houses the main telephony microphone. Also AFAIK, the only iOS device to have stereo speakers is the iPad mini.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

As the guy above pointed out, the iPhone has and has only ever had one speaker. The other thingy that looks like a speaker is in fact a mic :)