iPhone 5 Speck Candyshell Satin or Grip?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rmp71701, Nov 17, 2012.

1. rmp71701 macrumors member

I am in the market for a new case (disappointed in Commuter & need to switch). I'm seriously looking at Speck Candyshells & am trying to decide between Grip or Satin models.

I was leaning toward Satin but I've seen a lot of buzz about the "satin" coating wearing off the shell too easily and quickly (even reviews posted on Speck's website). Anyone know if Speck has addressed/resolved this issue? Also, any advice from those who maybe have experience from Grip & Satin models?

2. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Satin looks really nice, but it is a fingerprint magnet.

Grip makes the phone feel really nice and solid and, just like the name implies, gives a really good grip on the phone.

I prefer the Grip, but I just don't care for the color combos available. Hopefully, more colors will be available soon.

You really can't go wrong with either, but you can go try the Grip on for size at any ATT store to see if you like it.

3. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Indeed, the satin coating rubbed right off of mine when I pulled it out of a tight fitting pocket in my gym bag. The thing was barely one month old. I complained to Speck and they sent me out a new one right away. I love the case otherwise (grip, protection, and looks are top notch). I didn't have a problem with fingerprints on the black one either. Durability is the weakness of this case.