iPhone 5 Specs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Widashy, May 19, 2012.

1. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

Apple has been a pretty consistent company. Just look at their releases:
    iPhone 3G: 412 MHz Processor, 256 MB Ram, 3.5" 320 X 480 with 165 ppi Screen
    iPhone 3GS: 600 MHz Processor, 256 MB Ram, 3.5" 320 X 480 with 165 ppi Screen

iPhone 4: 1 GHz Processor, 512 MB Ram(2x), 3.5" 640 X 960(2x) with 326 ppi(~2x)
    iPhone 4S:1 GHz Dual Core, 512 MB Ram(2x), 3.5"640 X 960(2x) with 326 ppi(~2x)

iPad 2 : 512 MB Ram, 1024 X 768 Screen with 132 ppi
    New iPad(3): 1 GB Ram(2x), 2048 X 1536(2x) with 264 ppi(2x)

So we see that after every two years, the device gets significant bump in Resolution and processing power. Now we already know that the new iPhone is going to have A5X Quad-Core, which is in the New iPad, but about the screen resolution we have the perfect idea:

iPhone 5: A5X Quad Core Chip, 1 GB Ram(2x), (~4"?)1280 X 1920(2x) with 326+ ppi

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Can you post some spec of the iphone 2g and the first ipad?

3. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the A4 and A5 in the iPhone 4 and 4s are only running at 800mhz, not 1ghz.

Also, no way will the screen resolution on the new iPhone be that high, it's a huge waste of resources to push that many pixels on such a small display.

4. Widashy thread starter macrumors regular

Widashy

I know it's a crazy resolution for a 4" phone but if they want to increase the resolution(they have to), they have to double it.

5. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

What do you mean they "have to"? I mean I understand that people expect extremely awesome displays from apple, but I think they will stick with 3.5 and the same resolution. Apple is consistent, and will most likely keep it 3.5.

6. Widashy thread starter macrumors regular

Widashy

iPhone 4's 5MP camera was good enough for everyone but when Smartphones started coming up with 8 MP Cam, apple had to improvise. You see, the bigger screen for iPhone is inevitable whether you like it or not. The majority wants it and Apple had to deliver it. They also cannot go with same resolution and same ppi because the next generation of iPhones/iPads had better resolution than the previous ones.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Another i5 thread!! Awesome! I speculate it will convert into a hover craft.

8. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Apple doesn't have to do anything. They could stop selling the iPhone if they wanted to. And the resolution doesn't have to be double. They could cause developers to include artwork (where needed) for a completely new resolution.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Corporate suicide.

10. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

If they decide to use a larger screen I will be extremely mad. Not because iphone users will have a nicer phone, but because I'm sure there will be people saying that apple came out with 4" displays first (don't say it won't happen, because it will. People can be stupid sometimes.) Just like all other things in the smartphone world. I love apple, but only the computer side of the company. Iphones are nice phones, and they were amazing, but I'm tired of being made fun of because I choose andriod over ios. I had an iphone for over a year. Its not for everyone, but for some reason this world seems to think anything without an apple on the back is crap. And when you try to explain to someone that the specs are the same and sometimes better they just laugh at you and put you down. Making you regret spending money on your phone. The thing that really ticks me off is that even stores are force feeding the iphone into your mind and throwing all other phones to the curb.

Sorry about this rant. I have more to say but I don't want to make enemies yet here. This may not be what you experience, but it is what I have experienced on a daily basis. I use android because I like it. And I'm starting to contemplate going back to iphone just to stop from being yelled at and told its a copy of an iphone. I have a galaxy note. How can people think that its a copy of an iphone?! Its the polar opposite!

/rant

Good luck with your new iphones. Ill stay with android for now. At least until apple loosens it's reins on its software and allows some modification. I honestly hope the iphone is good and you enjoy it.

11. bazinga!! macrumors regular

bazinga!!

I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot happier if you stop caring so much about what people think of you. Just do your own thing.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You must be a real young guy. Nobody i know makes fun of people who dont have an iPhone. Just sounds like adolesent stuff to me. I dont use one anymore and ive never had anybody make fun of me. The Note is a copy of an iPhone? :rolleyes: You hang out with some real intelligent people....lol and those people would have to be real dumb to say the iPhone was first to have a 4" screen. They are last to do it...IF they do it.

You shouldnt worry yourself so much over what others think.

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why do you care what others have to say about which device you use? Sounds like some work on self esteem is in order. Use the device that best fits your needs. If people "make fun of you" for that choice why do you care? No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

14. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You do realize this is the iPhone section right ?

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

everyone wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and an iPad with a smaller one.

I agree that this year we will probably see a more "revolutionary" boost, but it's still so far off it's barely worth speculating about now. 5 months is a long time in the phone world.

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

it f#@&!*g prints money. And can grant up to three wishes. It builds you an island and then transforms into a private jet and then flies you there.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Probable iPhone 6 Specs Based on ACTUAL Past Trends

Try this instead:

[​IMG]

Display: It's highly likely the screen size will increase. In order to stay above the 4/4S PPI, it would require a screen with the suggested resolution.

PPI: Coordinates to being equal or larger than 4/4S while supporting new screen size rumors.

Storage: Apple doubles the maximum capacity options for a device every other generation, and giving flash prices, we can safely not expect a 128 GB iPhone 6

CPU: The A5X is large and consumes too much energy for a phone. There is a reason the iPad 3, which is already much larger than the iPhone, was required to be a little extra thicker. The 4S already stumbles a bit with it's battery life compared to the 4, and given the rumors of an even thinner phone, there is no way the A5X will find its way inside the iPhone 6. If Apple is waiting until the fall, the A6, which will be as fast if not faster and be more efficient, will be ready and we can safely assume they will go that route for the 6. We will see if they go with a higher processor speed or higher core option.

GPU: This is the haziest of all departments, but we can safely assume a PowerVR 6 as that is their latest offering. My guess is dual-core would suffice, but as with the CPU conundrum, it's up to Apple's geeks to way the pros and cons.

RAM: Doubled every generation, this is a given.

Camera: Increased by 2-3 MP each generation, though they may jump in MP substantially by 4 as 12 MP parts are already falling into competitor smartphones.

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Let's not be foolish... It would not fly you there, it would simply teleport you there. If you're going to make acquisitions of the next iPhone and it's abilities, let's at least make them more realistic. :)

20. Mapp1122 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

21. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

You're right. Silly me. I guess I was thinking of the HTC EVO.

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's a rumors website, get over it.

23. Widashy thread starter macrumors regular

Widashy

Don't you think that 1280X720 will change the aspect ratio which would be a nightmare for Apple to solve. They have to completely revamp the iOS with all the applications.

24. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Or they could go 3 times from the original iPhone screen resolution and have a much more believable resolution of 1440 X 960 which is 480X3 and 320X3. Doubling the current iPhone 4/4S resolution ain't happening. You can take that to the bank.