iPhone 5 Standby Battery Drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by distortedkarl, Dec 11, 2013.

1. distortedkarl macrumors newbie

I just got a new iPhone 5 on cyber Monday and i wondering what is normal standby time.

I really don't use my iPhone that much, mostly to look at the time. I've own the phone for 9 days I've only sent 28 text messages total and made 2 calls that lasted less than one minute within those 9 days. I took the phone off the charger at 11AM and now its 2:16PM and the phone has 81% left, I only sent two text messages and all the other time its been in standby mode.

I've searched around and find people who will charge there iPhone 5 at night when its done charging they take it off the charger and leave it all night and wake up with like 98% left. If i do the same my iPhone will be dead when i wake up.

I don't even use the phone and the battery dies, every setting is off but yet the phone dies when not in use.

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

If you're in a bad coverage area that's normal.

3. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got 3 out of the 5 dots at home and At work i have all 5 dots and it still drains the same.

It sucks how the battery drains quite a bit when not in use.

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

Settings > Privacy > Location services. Disable as many as you can, including system services.

5. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'll try that.

73% at 2:52PM

----------

71% at 3:00PM --- just sitting in standby looses 2% in 8 minutes.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Does not sound normal. Make appointment with Genius Bar and they'll help you with it.

Here's mine (tip: force quit Google apps when you are done):

Attached Files:

• out.jpg
      out.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  7. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've made appointment with them. I did the chat where they get a report from the phone and the guy said the phone's battery is normal, but he agreed that it should not drain that quickly.

How do you force quit google apps?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Go into multitasking/recent apps and close all apps there. Restart the phone.

If none of that works, try disabling background refresh settings if those are enabled (in addition to the earlier mentioned check of location services to disable anything that might not be needed).

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Check your background app refresh tab... that thing is a battery KILLER

10. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

Background app refresh was one of the first things I've turned off when i got the phone.

I'm going to drain the battery til it turns off and then charge it over night and run a experiment. I'm going to go to work tomorrow and not use the phone beyond the lock screen, so basically it will be a clock. I'll turn everything off except the things that allow me to make a call.

11. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a pic of what I have now....

Attached Files:

12. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

10 minutes later and all i did was email the picture of the screen to myself...

Attached Files:

13. distortedkarl thread starter macrumors newbie

I performed my test today.

I woke up and closed all apps and restarted the iphone while connected to the power source. I restarted the phone and unplugged it and for the whole day I never went pass the "slide to unlock" screen. The phone remained in standby mode the whole day. I started at 7:15 am and at 6:19PM (11 hours , 4 minutes) the battery reads 36%. I never used the phone but yet the battery drained, this is just crazy. The craziest part is that the Phone says the usage is 1 hour, 27 minutes. As to where it gets 1 hour and 27 mintues from i don't know as I never went pass the lock screen. I never texted, never called, never check email, never did anything.

I've done the restore as new phone last week. Also last night I drained the battery til it shut off and then charged it up to 100% before doing this test.

14. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I'd take it to the apple store, or maybe return it. you might have a faulty battery? idk what else to suggest.

I usually charge my phone before I go to sleep, then unplug it When i wake up, it's usually near ~95%

Btw, this is an iPhone 5 I've had for over a year.