iPhone 5 Stereo Audio Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Psyflow, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Psyflow macrumors newbie

As of late I seem to be having a problem with the audio output for my iPhone 5. I hook up my phone to my car's audio system each day for my drive to and from work. I use a 30 pin to lightning adapter as my car has a proprietary 30 pin cable. I originally thought my adapter was going out, but the problem is with the sound balance. I am hearing about 90% of the audio volume coming out of the right side speakers and barely any from the left side speakers. It is almost straight R speaker mono output.

I tried using a regular AUX cable, and I am getting the same results so it can't be the adapter. And it isn't my car speakers going out, as when I play a CD I get great loud stereo sound from all speakers.

Anyone know what this could be? Or am I really just having bad luck?

2. yukhalilsel macrumors member

Tried to clean the charger socket and headphone socket gently with a toothpick? Could be pressed dust

3. Psyflow thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that and am still having the same problem. After doing more testing it appears that the entire external left speaker on my iPhone is no longer working, so it makes a bit more sense now. I bought my original iPhone 5 right around launch time. After about a year I started to have the lock button issue and Apple was kind enough to swap me for a new iPhone 5.

So this phone I've had for about 6 months now....do you think this is something that could be covered under warranty if I were to take it in?

4. yukhalilsel macrumors member

Well, the left speaker as you refer to it, is actually the microphone.. There is only one external speaker on iPhones :)

5. Psyflow thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, noob mistake! So I suppose I am back at square one then :eek:

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings, General, Accessibility, scroll to the bottom. Is the slider in the middle?

7. Psyflow thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you know, that did it! Thank you sir! I wouldn't have even thought to look there, not sure how that even got adjusted in the first place...