iPhone 5 stolen - best step to take?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoolAid-Drink, Feb 18, 2014.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

So...unfortunately, tonight, my iPhone 5 was stolen :(

Tried 'find my iPhone', thugs must've turned off the iPhone, because it's offline. I put the iPhone in lost mode, along with a message. However, should I erase the iPhone or just leave it in lost mode? Not sure what the best step to take is.

The good thing is, it's iOS 7 (7.0.4), so it's absolutely tied to my Apple ID. Useless. And, I don't think those thugs who stole the iPhone are smart enough to jailbreak the iPhone. So, erase or leave in Lost Mode?

What an awful night.

Thanks!

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id erase it so even if they manage to get into your phone your information is safe.

3. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

I am sorry! iPhone thieves are a disgrace! I would highly recommend you do a remote wipe. You're not getting the phone back, might as well protect your data. With activation lock, that phone is useless unless it's gutted.

4. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

But it says the erase would prevent the phone being tracked on iCloud/Find my iPhone? Look at the screenshot below... the detective and cops suggested I wait a day or two and see if the iPhone would reappear.

I'm confused :confused:

Attached Files:

5. imeth macrumors regular

Rip koolaid's iphone.. They will most likely sold for parts or try to craigslist it and scam an innocent yet dumb buyer who doesn't realize it's locked and linked id ready.. Smh

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you know? With due respect, the detective and cops did seem somewhat positive that they may be able to track down the iPhone, and they did get my Apple ID and password to track down the iPhone itself, so they may have some kind of special system?

Also, we live in an area with many robberies, so it may be possible that they know where/how to find suspected robberies?

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

It seems to me that if your phone has a passcode or better yet long password set on it, you would do better not to wipe the phone - at least you have a small chance you may find its location later, and practically no chance that the thief can break into it...

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Getting a stolen phone back is very rare. It is very likely that the thief has already taken the phone apart and stripped the parts that have any value.

10. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

I live in the ghetto, so having the thief take apart the iPhone - let alone knowing how - seems a bit low. I could be naive, though. This is a completely new experience to me, though. Never had an iPhone stolen before.

Any ideas how I could try to get AT&T to give me the fully discounted upgrade? Plead? My upgrade doesn't clear until Jan. 2015 and I'm on a somewhat tight budget :(

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never had mine stolen either, but stolen cars often go in recovered too. Or when it finally does show up, there isn't much left. Anyway, it's pretty easy to find a how-to online to take apart just about anything.

Maybe check out the new shared data plans? If you're already on one, you might be able to switch to Next.

12. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm on a special plan due to being Deaf, so... that makes the situation a bit more sticky. :(

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your best bet may be to call and ask AT&T. If they can't do anything for you, maybe pick up a used 4s on CL to tide you over until you can upgrade?

14. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

General question - is it generally easier and more successful calling AT&T to plead your case, or going to a brick and mortar store in person?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Face to face is always better then on the phone imo.

16. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

This. :apple:

17. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Update:

I went to an AT&T store in person and was helped by a very nice gentleman, who was able to give me a brand-spanking new 5s at the fully discounted price ($199), even though I was only halfway through my 2-year contract. Very impressed and grateful. It's a bit weird going down to 16gb from 32gb, but I can always move stuff from my phone to my computer. My stolen 5 is still being traced and is on Find my iPhone, and I'm currently in touch with a detective, so let's see what happens. I'm also scouring Craigslist to see if somehow, it turns up. If, in the very slim chance my 5 is recovered, I'll just sell it on Glyde for what it is worth. Let's hope it's not physically damaged if it does turn up!

Thanks for the help, everyone.

18. gaanee macrumors 6502a

That's good to know.. I have heard nice experiences about Apple service. Did you have to sign a new contract or just continuing the existing?

16GB is not really tiny, is just about sufficient, unless you install many things.

19. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

It was at the AT&T store, not the Apple store. Extended the contract to 2 years later.

20. bobright macrumors 601

Sorry about the loss just curious how did it get stolen? Also just for future reference we never think about these things before its too late, the best bet is to always keep a passcode and Find My Phone turned to on and we should be safe as far as compromised data?

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, and set "Erase Data" on so there's a ten-try limit on the passcode before it wipes the device.

22. bobright macrumors 601

If we set that option to erase data would we would no longer be able to track it when that happens?

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I believe op said it was ripped from his hands.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Probably so. Gotta choose which is more important to you; preserving a minuscule chance of regaining the device or ensuring any data gets wiped.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At this point, I think you should just erase it to hopefully preserve your data.

Anyways I would disable the control panel access from the lockscreen.