iPhone 5 stuck in recovery mode during ios 8 update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Aliencowboy69, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Aliencowboy69 macrumors member

So here's the problem. A friend of mine was downloading ios 8 when the iPhone went into recovery mode before the download had completed. The phone is an iPhone 5 but unsure what version it was running before the update. Now all it says is connect to iTunes.

Connect it to iTunes and try to kick it oit of recovery mode with the power and home button and still does nothing. It just keeps bringing up the apple logo, and then the connect to itunes appears again...seems to be on a loop.

Had a search on the forum for help but can't find any posts about this although it seems a pretty common thing from what I have seen.

Tried to do a restore through itunes but the download is like 2 hours and when it finishes the phone just shows the apple logo, then black screen and connect to itunes re appears again

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rebelduck macrumors newbie

This happened to me. Had no choice but to restore the phone to factory settings, then after that restore it from backup.

3. Aliencowboy69 thread starter macrumors member

I would, but iTunes won't let me. Everytime the recovery reaches the end of its cycle, it doesnt come out of recovery mode, but instead shows the recovery cable and the "connect to itunes" message again. At this point The data doesnt matter, just getting the iPhone to exit recovery mode