iPhone 5 sucking data like crazy? What gives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CiFi, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CiFi macrumors newbie

So I'm on a mobile share plan with AT&T with a 10GB limit and there are a few phones...I monitored my data usage on my old iPhone 4 and was using about 150mb in 3 days and a little over 1GB per month.

Now i get the iPhone 5 today with the 4G LTE. I've been playing around with it, just downloading apps and what-not.

I'm currently at 500mb over the past few hours!! That is equivalent to 2 weeks with my iPhone 4! I'm not using this phone any differently...

What is going on here? Is it an iCloud setting? I tried switching "Use cellular data with iCloud" to off, to see if that helps.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. cbutters macrumors member

Did you download all your apps to your iphone5 that you had on your old phone?

because if so you just downloaded a whole bunch of data.

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

but LTE shouldnt effect your data usage at all. That just doesnt make sense. You must be doing something wrong.

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

NO!!! This proves the faster the connection the more you'll use. I hate when people say that one won't use more data because its faster.

Examine your internet usage when you had a 56K modem versus a broadband connection.

Stupid people.

OP: Maybe you should have bought an iPhone a few back so you would have unlimited.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

How many times did you run speed test app if at all. That ate up some data for me have yet to use phone off wifi other than that.

6. mainomega macrumors 6502

Ummm no, its like comparing the amount of paved roads in 1840s vs 2012. My data hasn't increase a part from re downloading the old apps I had.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

UUUUUUMMMMMMM YES!!!!! When I got an HSPA+ phone last year my usage nearly doubled. I did the exact same thing.

People, like yourself just don't want to admit it because most of you don't have unlimited data.

I betcha anything within the next month dozens of threads will pop up about people going over their data allotments.

I'm gonna laugh!!!

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Please don't come and complain when you're throttled at 5GB...

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

You do realize not everyone on the unlimited plan is still throttled after 5GB. Depends on where your at. ;)

10. txflyfish macrumors member

11. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you synced all music via icloud/itunes match?

12. xyion1 macrumors regular

I got a 3GB warning text today (on grandfathered unlimited) because LTE is actually faster than my WiFi connection! Totally awesome, and ridiculous that the caps are so low. I was trying out iTunes Match over LTE BTW. I ended up syncing with a cable (25GB) because I wanted lyrics & album art. But 3GB in a matter of 2 hours is crazy!

13. CiFi thread starter macrumors newbie

I did this, and it worked on the one phone but not the other. My one phone is constantly drainign about 1-2kb a second. So it is adding up fast. I don't know what is causing it to drain data like this. I googled and started doing steps like turning off iCloud but this makes no sense.

14. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Your data usage isn't more because of LTE. You are using more data because you are getting your "info" faster and just have more time to browse more things and are thus downloading more.

2MB of 3G, is 2MB of LTE. You are physically downloading more things.

15. mainomega macrumors 6502

Think for a bit instead of just rumbling on and on.

My data usage and my wife's has remained around the same through out all our phones. I use from 3.4GB to 4.5GB all the way from the 3G through 4s. My wife uses from 2.9GB to 3.7GB, again from 3G through 4s (3G, 3Gs, 4, and 4s). We both have been in the unlimited plan since the 3G and are still in the unlimited plan. We never have had to worry about the data cap (Even though i did receive a warning 7 months ago).

If you are coming from a iPhone 4 or below, the 5 might be considered a huge change of speed and I can see why someone would use more data if they had a 4 or 3GS. For those of use who are upgrading from a 4s, the difference isn't there so it won't change how we use our phones.

To sum it all up - If you had a 4s your data shouldn't jump. If you had an older phone I would image the internet has opened up for you and I would expect a change of bandwidth.

16. CiFi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm doing absolutely nothing with the phone, and under usage in settings, it is draining about 1kb a second. That is not normal. Something is using this data.

17. fins831 macrumors 6502a

18. CiFi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I deleted my iCloud accounts, restarted the phones, and now there is no data drain. If iCloud was draining 1kb a second for no reason, that 85MB in a day for absolutely nothing. 2.5 GB in a month!

That is not normal, and after googling "icloud data drain" there was this problem with iCloud before. Has it not been fixed? How do you get iCloud to work without this drain? I want to use the Find my phone feature and thats basically it.

19. fins831 macrumors 6502a

How did you check the data drain? Was it an app?

20. fins831 macrumors 6502a

What app were you tracking the drain with, curious....I want to do this as well

21. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I was doing this exact thing at work. LTE is fast and I didn't notice I was using it to download apps I had on my 4s from iCloud. Only noticed after about 10 apps when downloading a 100MB app. Then the 50MB app size limit over cell data came up. QUICKLY switched to wifi when I realized what I was doing.

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

You got a warning at 3gb? I thought if you grandfathered unlimited from 3G --> unlimited LTE the throttle cap got set to 5gb? I've never come close to even 3, (even with unlimited, I'm so paranoid about the throttle I rarely top 1.5gb haha).

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Welcome to fast smartphones circa 2012.

One cannot expect to have low operating costs with a top of the line phone.

You get what you pay for. It's not a cheap phone. To build, buy, or operate.

24. CiFi thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically you guys are telling me, that if you all go to cellular usage in settings, and reset it, go back and forth every second, you all see 1kb per second being used?

There are posts all over about iOS6 draining battery and data. I mean my batter lasted 5 hours today! Thats not normal!