iPhone 5 suddenly went dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nkaufman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. nkaufman macrumors member

Hello,

All of a sudden yesterday my iPhone 5 suddenly went dead. Phone was on a desk, wasn't over-heated or anything .like that. Charge was around 60%.

Did a search and found about hard reset - Home and On/Off button pressed for few minutes and then saw Apple icon and everything seems normal again.

Was wondering if there is something wrong with On/Off button (my phone S/N is amongst the one that Apple has for switch recall) and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get the switch replaced. Or is this issue something that happens with the iPhone and is not a concern.

Thanks,

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It could be in the recall and if so Apple should fix. If not diagnosing such things can be very difficult.

3. nkaufman thread starter macrumors member

As I mentioned in my OP, the phone is part of recall.

But the question is - Is this normal for iPhone to sometimes go dead and need a reset - press both Home and On/Off button or should I go ahead and get Apple to replace the On/Off switch.

4. nkaufman thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying here. Are you saying that no need to take the phone to Apple store because the On/Off switch is fine?

5. soy macrumors member

soy

Since you qualify for the recall program, I don't see why you don't just do it.

Most people are reporting that Apple replaced their battery for free as well while they replace the button, so it'll give your phone a slightly better lifespan.

In my case (and some others) they just replaced the entire phone.

6. nkaufman thread starter macrumors member

Well, I never had an issue like this and never really thought of going for the recall. But maybe now is the time..

7. soy macrumors member

soy

I'd definitely recommend it, didn't have issues with my button, but battery life was getting rather short. Now have a shiny new phone that actually lasts me a whole day again.

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

My 5c did this last week. Went to bed with over 30% and in the morning it was dead to the world! Luckily my son woke me well before to get up anyway. I don't need to rely on my alarm to wake for work but it's always set as a backup in case he over sleeps!