iPhone 5 support

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt9013, Mar 13, 2015.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

How long do you think the iPhone 5 will support the :apple:Watch? Sooner or later the 5 will stop getting iOS updates I'm sure and the :apple:Watch will just become sluggish or loose features that need the latest iOS.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You are assuming the Apple watch is going to be on the same iOS release schedule. It's not exactly an iPad so it's difficult to say how often the software will be updated.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Remember a MAJOR part of the :apple:Watch's OS is the Companion App. So new features could need an updated Companion App and this is integral to iOS.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I do not know how this is going to work to be honest.

The watch has its own firmware. I do not know how often Apple will be updating the firmware on the watch. (I'm hoping more updates through the companion app and less on the watch itself)

I can see Apple updating the companion app on the iPhone to add new features to the watch. Since the companion app gets updated with every iOS update I understand where you are coming from. At some point the iPhone 5 will no longer be able to update to the latest iOS. You will lose whatever apple watch feature that may be added in the latest version.

5. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

Exactly, iOS and iPhone do all of the work for the :apple:Watch. All major updates will come in the form of iOS updates and sooner or later the iPhone 5 will stop getting them making the app useless really.

I'm sure the :apple:Watch will get updates but nothing really major as those come to iOS.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

All updates MUST go through the iPhone's Companion App. The :apple:Watch has no means of communicating on it's own. The iPhone is the only gateway for the :apple:Watch.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So then what is the data port on the watch for?

Also, isn't that a good thing? At least you won't be forced to install newer software that may run slower on the watch due to hardware limitations.

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The secret data port is only on development watches, it is going to be removed from production watches.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

On our iPhones if the OS is completely screwed up we can put the phone in DFU mode and restore from a PC.

What happens if/when this becomes the case on the Apple watch? I would imagine there would have been a hardwire method of restoring/accessing the phone because Bluetooth/Wifi radios may not work if the OS is hosed.

10. troop231 macrumors 603

11. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

I'm wondering the same, at the moment you'd have to take it to the store, guessing they have a cable to restore it, looks like the port will be in the production models too.

12. H3rman macrumors 6502

Yes, but doesn't mean the general public will have access to the data port on the watch. It could be for use in Authorised Apple Repair Centres only.