(iPhone 5) Terrible Background Noise with Cabled Headset

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mctheriot, Dec 8, 2012.

1. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    - BT headsets work fine
    - Cabled headsets have really bad (almost amplified) background noise

The noise is worst when moving the iPhone around - almost as if the internal mike is still active???

Tried 5 different headsets with exactly the same results. Using the headsets on an Android phone - no issues.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

2. txgatorfan macrumors newbie

Noise canceling headset not canceling noise

I have the exact same problem. I've gotten a new headset and a new phone from Apple but it did not solve the issue. I will be on the phone using my ear pods and the person on the other end will suddenly complain that I sound like I'm on an active runway outside the plane. It happens when I make the most minor movements such as carrying a plastic bag, running water, or folding clothes. Last night, my dogs were in another room about 15 feet away on the other side of a wall and were barking. I was told it sounded like i was in a dog kennel.

I did read somewhere that it could be a problem with the phone jack and the antenna configuration, but not sure.

3. hanhar macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 noisy with headset and dropping words

I am having the same problem! As soon as I plug in the cabled headset, and I am sitting in a noisy coffee shop, the person on the other end hears the background noise and half of the words of the person on the other end are cut out. I am really upset and frustrated. I plan on visiting Apple to try and resolve this. My old iPhone 4 worked PERFECTLY with the headset (I could use it in any environment and all the background noise was perfectly cut out)

4. jdl1999 macrumors newbie

Hello,

This has been driving me crazy.

I used my iphone 3gs for business and I used a few different wired headsets and they worked great and the person I was talking to did not even realize I was on a cell phone and they heard very little background noise from where I was.

As soon as I got the iphone 5 the people I was talking to could hear everything around me amplified even louder than I could. Same for bluetooth headset, except for Jawbone, but I prefer a wired headset.

Apple Genius bar did not have any idea on how to fix it. They offered to replace the phone, but we realized that they had the same problem on their iphone 5 also.

Hopefully it is a software issue that can be fixed at some point.

Ironically, without the headset, there is very little background noise if I am holding the phone up to my head since they added the background noise reduction feature.

5. frdfr macrumors newbie

same problem here

And all my friend's iphone 5's too, when using a cabled headphone.:mad:

6. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Have you guys tried to see if by any chance this has been fix in iOS 6.1?

I hate having a couple of headsets and not been able to use them to makes phone calls.

I believe I saw somewhere that the problem is that the mic for the noise canceling is not working during a call with a wired headset. I mean, I do have a couple of Bluetooth headsets, but I want to be able to use the wired ones when I want.

7. phreditor macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 wired headset useless for calls

Everybody headset user has this problem. It is a huge oversight on Apple's part. It's as if they never bothered to test it with a headset. A wired headset, the primary use mode for millions, is entirely unusable except in the most quiet environments.

Why not just use bluetooth? Because it is also my iPod, duh. I don't want to have to swap accessories. It defeats the point of combining the devices.

If I'd have known, I would have kept my very capable 4S until this was resolved.

No, I am not a troll. I own a lot of Apple stock, and have been a proud user since 1985. I just want this fixed, so I can make a phone call from my car, or with the tube on.