iphone 5 theme changer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mysterioustko, May 16, 2011.

1. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think the inclusion of some type of theme changer that could changed the color scheme of the OS and possibly change the icon types wold be a nice inclusion in the next IOS. I find having the same blueish grey look all the time on just about everything to be a bit boring and I find the app icons to be a bit too bubbly and cartoonish. Add to that the fact that an elderly person's iphone and a teenagers iphone look exactly the same (except for difference in wallpaper), that just irks me. Apple should give the end user at least a small way to make their phone uniquely theirs. What do you guys think? Also, please no fanboy responses ie. "if you don't like the look get an android".

2. DuckSoup, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I'm not holding my breath on them providing a theme aspect in iO/S 5 considering they've yet to provide a USABLE "white on black" option.

I find it laughable that all that option does is provide a negative photo image of EVERYTHING. I LOVE the white font on black part of it but the fact that it also creates a negative of all images is simply hilarious and Steve Jobs himself should be embarrased about that. I mean, are you guys serious? Look at the sun in weather apps with "white on black" selected! It's BLUE!

Mike

[​IMG] ------- [​IMG]

3. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree with you, I don't believe that is something that Apple will do. It would be nice change of pace if they did though. I'm not sure what they have against user customization.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because they want to control the entire user experience. If you go with apple you have to accept that apple is a control freak of a corporation.

5. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

One of the reasons I jail broke. I've had custom themes for a year now. Even if apple does come out with them in iOS 5, a day late and a dollar short.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

I think iOS5 will have to be a fairly radical reimagining of iOS .... its entering its 5th year in service and the general look and feel haven't really shifted .... compare that to andoid now and over the past 12-18 months .... its starting to get that cohesion and finish that iOS enjoys.

Either way i think its really starting to make the iPhone feel old and dated ... they can't let it continue to have so little customisation .... iOS5 will be make or break for me ....

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Does it also annoy you that your TVs look largely the same or that your cars both have 4 wheels? Grow up and get a life.

8. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

And your response is exactly the type of response that I said I did not want. Keep your immature "grow up and get a life" responses to yourself. Oh and by the way, a television is typically NOT a customizable device whereas a phone typically is, so your comparison is a very poor one at best. In the future if you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation then do us all a favor keep your mouth closed.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, how should it work? I'm actually curious, I have no idea what you're asking for.

Do you want a light-sun on a light-background? That defeats the purpose since you'd making things harder for the target audience than how you started out.

Do you want a light sun on a dark background? That's what it is now and having the light text on the backgrond is what they were trying to avoid. I've been sitting here thinking and I honestly can't figure out what you're arguing for.

And why shouldn't the photos be reversed too? I'm not an expert on this stuff but I'd assume that if reversing the text helps them then reversing the photos would help their eyes in a similar way. Seems logical to me, but I don't have direct experience with that so maybe I'm wrong.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Jailbreaking and theming is so easy these days, there are step by step instructions all over the net. Might be an option for you if it really bothers you that much.

11. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

lol ive just had a go of that and thats just silly. white on black looks great for the black phones but the black on white gives a whole new look to the white phones. i cant believe they have just done a colour invert instead of a specific option to have black on white :-O

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

just jailbreak no point waiting on apple to give you what you can already do

even if ios 5 is this total revamp what do people think it will include that jailbroken phones havnt been doing for years?

13. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Just jailbreak your iPhone. It raises the value of it anyways. Just google iPhone dev team, they are people that jailbreak.

14. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Just jailbreak your iPhone. It raises the value of it anyways. Just google iPhone dev team, they are people that jailbreak.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Mr. Moderator.

Yeah, don't hold your breath. What version Mac OS X are we on? and what version is coming next and we still don't have the option to customize our computers (except for the Wallpaper and Dock position). Its all still the same gray tone it once was several years ago, now just a different shade of gray.

Apple is not known for giving users the Option.

also, if anyone is going to respond to my comment please do so in a mature manner, thank you.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, you get irked too easily.:rolleyes:

That said, I agree with you. I wish Apple allowed for more customization. You can always jailbreak.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I don't know, I think the examples you give there are quite strange. I can't see myself using it to look at the weather or cnn pages, both of which are fairly easy to read. I sometimes have a problem with black text on a white background and it does the trick for me. The primary thing is that it's simple to use. By comparison, have you seen Windows' accessibility options? They're some of the most user-unfriendly menus I've ever seen.

I don't need 94 different colours of text, one will do. I can look at the images as they would be in 3 clicks of the home button, rather than 30 clicks in control panel.

Same in OSX -- ctrl-option-cmd+8, and that's it. Easy.

18. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

To those that suggest jailbreaking...I'm aware there are ways to do this via jailbreaking. Problem is jailbreaking is not something everyone is comfortable with and is not something one should be forced to do (since it voids their warranty) just to do what most would consider a small customization. That's why I said I'd like to see it included in the next version of IOS (though I realize it seems that Apple is against any sort of individuality for some reason and most likely will not do that).

You bring up a good point. The fact that this hasn't been available on Mac serves as evidence that this likely will not be a feature ever. It would be nice if they did include it though. I think it would excite their customer base (at least initially it would) because they would finally have an iphone they could "make their own". For example, let's be honest, those "show your home screen" threads are just comparing what wallpapers people have (on a non-jailbroken unit). Every single person's phone looks the same in those, they just have a different pic in the background. Those would actually become a bit more interesting because then you'd see different theme usage along with how they incorporate their wallpaper with said theme. ...too bad it's just wishful thinking lol

19. heisenberg123, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

jailbreaking only voids your warranty if you send it to apple in a jailbroken state

restore a a new device will wipe any trace of it thus leaving your warranty in tacked

apple doesnt want to allow changing system files (allow theming) most likey because people would be calling them all day because they changed a file they should not of

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So by your logic all desktops look the same just because the only thing you can change is the wallpaper and icon placement?

21. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I'm talking about "white on black" in their menuing system. Not apps. I used the CNN app as an example how the white-on-black is a useless feature as it is now. The option should not change images, icons, or third-party apps. Which is basically what the OP is asking for, a theme. Themes on other phones I had did not mess with apps. Just the phones basic menu system.

Like this (I find this easier to read), but either leave the icons alone or have a separate set of icons for the white-on-black setting:

[​IMG]

22. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yes, but one of my points is that using does in fact change EVERYTHING, so when you want to use the white-on-black (for like when YOU do) you can't keep it on all the time. Yeah, one could use triple-click for toggling it, but I prefer using triple-click for other options. I'm just saying they could design a better white-on-black putting some effort itno it where it is pretty much a theme as the OP asked.

Mike

23. mitsitsad macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the white-on-black feature is to help those who are visually impared.

24. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

...and give us control? Remember, we choose to stay in the eco-system. We can leave anytime.

However, your vision would be welcome. :apple: