Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhohoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
So it was really strange... I was working last night and I watched my phone change from 2am to 1am. Cool. However, when I woke up this morning, I noticed that my phone changed again to an hour ahead. What's strange is, if I go into airplane mode and back out again, it will set itself correctly to an hour behind. It changes right back within a few seconds. When I go into date and time to set the location to CST, again, it will change to my correct location and time but then within a few seconds, it keeps changing back to "etc/GMT +5".
Please help!
I'm using an iPhone 5 on Sprint.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Turn off set time automatically in settings.

Note to op. There is no need to dual post in the forum and it's against the rules ;)

hewhohoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Turn off set time automatically in settings.

Note to op. There is no need to dual post in the forum and it's against the rules ;)

I'm sorry, I realized that I posted my original in the incorrect (ios 7) forum. My apologies.

----------

Also, I've temporarily changed it to manual... But I shouldn't have to worry about that! Anyone have any ideas?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's the cellular network in your area. When auto-set is on, the phone gets the time from the cell network it's connected to and will set itself to whatever the network in your area claims the time is.

Usually it's correct, but during Daylight Savings Time changes, carriers have been known to flub the time change in some markets.

It'll probably get fixed by the carrier sometime today or tomorrow.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's the cellular network in your area. When auto-set is on, the phone gets the time from the cell network it's connected to and will set itself to whatever the network in your area claims the time is.

Usually it's correct, but during Daylight Savings Time changes, carriers have been known to flub the time change in some markets.

Yup, more than likely that's what it comes down to.

hewhohoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012

This would make perfect sense... Except my fiancee' also has an iPhone 5, on my plan and also (obviously) on Sprint and her phone is displaying the correct time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.