iPhone 5 - Time Stops

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Warren., Oct 19, 2012.

1. Warren. macrumors newbie

Ok, I've had the iPhone 5 for several weeks and this problem has just came up yesterday and it repeated this morning. This is happening on my iPhone 5 as well as my wife's iPhone 5. Both on the Verizon Network.

What is happening is the internal clock stops, and the only way to get it going again is to preform a soft reset, or by making a call.

We use our phones alarm function to wake us in the morning. Yesterday my alarm did not go off at 5:30AM because the phone said it was 9:14PM. This morning my wife's alarm did not go off at 6:30AM as it said it was 10PM. I did check her phone this morning at 6:01AM and it was set, so some time between then and 6:30 it switched times on her.

EDIT:
    Man I search this place and found nothing...then after posting I saw several other threads on this same Issue.

Sorry for the new thread.

If a Mod would like to delete this, that would be sweet.
    Anyone else been having this issue, or have any ideal's what's going on? I'm assuming for whatever reason the phones are getting a wrong time stamp from Verizon.

2. moonman239 macrumors 68000

For those with this issue, go to Settings>General>Date & Time and make sure "Set Automatically" is on.

I have always thought iPhones were programmed to synchronize with the clock on Apple's servers. That's how the clock on the Mac and perhaps even the iPod touch and WiFi iPad get updated. Edit: My own suspicion is confirmed. I compared the clock on an iMac to the clock on my phone and they both showed almost the same time, only like 1 second off at most.

3. jimmy575 macrumors member

Try this, or at least toggle this switch.

Then I would try under Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings.

Then I would see if it is happening on 3g and wifi or one or the other and go from there, and possibly contact Apple.

4. janitor3 macrumors regular

Contact Apple and let them know, Verizon thinks it's a software issue on iphone 5.

You might have to wait until Apple issue a fix for the problem. :(

5. wenglish macrumors member

I would hope the iPhone gets the time from the cellular network.

My Mac Pro at work was set to get the time automatically from Apple's servers (rather than from something like NIST), and apparently Cupertino is about 5 minutes ahead of Seattle:D

6. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I'm having the same problem with verizon iPhone and this is unacceptable!

My alarm didn't go off this morning. It was supposed to at 5:15. I woke up at 5:30. I checked my iPad for the time. When I looked at my iphone 5 to see why my alarm didn't go off, it said it was 1:15 and it was September 14th (today is October 24th).

I will contact apple about this, but it is funny only verizon users are experiencing this. I also have my time turned on to set automatically.

Now I'm worried because I cannot trust my iphone 5 as an alarm clock. Guess I will have to use iPad in the meantime.