Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
Robert X. Cringely said:
And now the frenzy begins. Running this story in reverse it’s suddenly clear why Apple didn’t introduce the iPhone 5 this week. It would have been lost in the news of Jobs’s death, killing the marketing value he would have loved. I’m sure the phone will appear in a week or two with that appearance in part to encourage the recovery of Apple shares from what is sure to be a short-term decline.

http://www.cringely.com/2011/10/steve-jobs-is-dead/

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
It's an interesting perspective from a guy who's known Steve for 34 years.... I'm not sure what to make of it.

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
And PO a major part of their ecosystem? I don't think so.

I imagine the iPhone 5 won't come out, but thinking that Steve might have not wanted his posthumous media attention to overshadow the iPhone launch is kind of beliveable.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
There won't be an iPhone 5 EVER. Why is it so hard to realize that the 4s IS the iPhone 5?

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, not gonna happen. No way Apple would let millions of people pre-order a 4S and then announce the 5, screwing all those millions.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
A revolutionary new redesign? I'm pretty sure SJ would want that released before his death, so that he would be remembered with the thought that "Apple still has it" instead of "Apple is becoming mediocre."

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Yeah, this doesn't really sound plausible, even if he does know Steve for a long while.

I mean, if Tim and Co were certain of Steve's impending death, and didn't want iPhone 5 sales to be affected, why not just delay the press conference? It'd be foolish for Apple to say to the thousands of people pre-ordering the 4S right now that "Sorry you got your 4S so early, but here's the 5 right now."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.