iPhone 5 to Get Aluminum Backing, Redesigned Antenna?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by devilstrider, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    Mockup design of iPhone 5 with Aluminum backing
    GadgetsDNA points to a Economic Daily News report (translated by Macotakara) about the upcoming iPhone 5. According to a Chinese source, Apple will be abandoning the glass backing of the iPhone 4 and moving back to an aluminum casing. Apple's first iPhone also shipped with an aluminum back casing. From the translation:Decision to design similar to iPod touch instead of using glass is supposed that Apple seems to stop problems which are told widely damages from scratching, difficulties of painting white and weight of glass.
    The antenna will also be redesigned which means Apple will also be abandoning the current external iPhone 4 antenna design. The iPhone 4 antenna was the source of a major controversy over signal loss and attenuation when it was held in a certain way. The iPhone 5 is also said to have the new Apple A5 processor and will likely be announced in June/July.

While Economic Daily News itself has been a bit of mixed source for early Apple rumors with previous claims that didn't pan out, the Chinese supply chain seems to be the weakest link in Apple's secrecy.​

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I pray that they go with this design for the next iPhone:
    [​IMG]

3. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I happen to really like the current design and this mockup seems like a bit of a step back. Not to mention the chassis shown on the Internet before the Verizon release with the new antenna gaps and a SIM slot. I don't think there's any legitimacy to this rumor, but what the hell do I know, I'm just a consumer waiting patiently for an official announcement.

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This already being discussed on the front page of MR

6. ajayvarma87 macrumors member

That looks really slick. I like it. The iPod Touches are really thin, hopefully they can make the iPhone thinner. I dont mind the weight, i prefer the weight to be heavy.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.