Iphone 5 to have thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deliriousfenk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. deliriousfenk macrumors newbie

I did a quick search and didn't see any threads on this.

Now that light peak is on the new mbp, I wonder if the new iphone will be compatible with thunderbolt.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not likely to ever happen. I don't know what purpose it would serve that USB 2 can't do it for the iPhone.

It's not likely to even physically fit into the frame and if it could, the CPU and logic board on the iPhones probably aren't powerful enough to accommodate it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. pintnight macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt/Light Peek would be great for the iPhone, think about how quickly the iOS update will be to the phone and backup/restore will be faster.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Atm, you can only write to the iPhone/iPad at a max of 16MB/s, and any single chip NAND storage in these devices isn't going to improve the speeds that much so atm, USB2 is cheaper, more available and fast enough.

6. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Thunderbolt is based on PCI Express bus technology, which is an extension of x86 architecture. There is about zero chance you will see it on low-power ARM based devices.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Exactly. No PCI express bus, no Thunderbolt.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

9. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

You wouldn't use it for anything, because it won't be available on iOS devices (for the reasons explained above).

10. utneon macrumors regular

11. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

12. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

13. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Thunderbolt requires a display pipe and the Thunderbolt interface itself to be muxed through an Intel chip. Why do you think Intel would enable this technology for an ARM processor, which they compete with?

It doesn't make any sense.

You will not see this technology on an iPad, either.

14. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

just wait for iPhone 5000 because it will have a 32TB memory :p thats when will need it:D

15. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

i lol'

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And I was just telling my wife we should wait for the Iphone5 so we have the latest and greatest. Guess we will need to wait a big longer. No sense buying something out of date.

LOL!

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Which is a shame, because improving the glacial speed of iOS device syncing is the only thing I can think of that would really take Thunderbolt mass market.

Phazer

18. abthegreat macrumors regular

I am sure were gonna get a TP to iPod 30Pin cable soon make those 10Watts of bus power quickly charge the iPhone

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So, ignoring the not possible/no advantage right now, the one thing I would say would say definitely not hinges on one thing: Is it easy to just get an adapter from thunderbolt to USB?

Cause if not, I'd say absolutely no way. Because Apple is trying to sell this phone to the masses, it tends to be also their way of introducing people to the Apple ecosystem that never experienced it before. If they put thunderbolt into it and it was not easily convertible to a USB connector, the only people they could sell it to right now is not just anyone with a Mac, but anyone with a brand new mac (shoot, at this point only those with a brand new MBP). So they would seriously limit who could actually use the phone.

20. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@tigress666, Thunderbolt is Intel technology, not Apple. Any design work done on Thunderbolt would need to be justified to Intel, who wouldn't do it unless Apple starts using Intel silicon in their iPhones and iPads.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Huh? I'm not sure how this relates to my point (I'm just talking about how prevalent thunderbolt is at this moment which it's not. Apple is going to use the interface most people have access to for their iphones, not one that at the moment only one computer uses. Shoot, maybe a few PCs will use it by the time the iphone comes out, but it still would require you have the brand new computers and it won't be prevalent, least not this year).

Edit: Where you think I was saying apple was using thunderbolt to introduce them to the apple ecosystem when I said using "it"? Sorry, I guess I should clarify, it = the iphone.

22. Xeperu macrumors 6502

And forcing you to upgrade your computer with your new phone? Not bloody likely!

Intel stated that there will be NO upgrade options to current computers. You'll have to buy a new motherboard that supports Thundercats.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The HTC ThunderBolt doesn't even have Thunderbolt. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it on the iPhone 5. #duh #winning

Seriously, I'm no electrician but I'm betting the dock connector may have some superior wiring to USB 2 and therefore be able to use a cable that goes from it to a Thunderbolt port. The dock connector port goes to everything imaginable, so it wouldn't shock me to see an optional cable.

24. dyn macrumors 68030

Intel did not state that. Intel didn't confirm nor denied that there will be expansion cards. This lead to the conclusion you need to buy a new computer if you want thunderbolt.

Same thing about needing graphics, it would also require graphics in the Lacie Little Big Disk. Now think about that...graphics in an external disk, does not sound logical so no, graphics is certainly not a requirement for thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is something for notebooks like the MacBook Pro so it can do similar things as the Mac Pro. Therefore you won't ever find it on an iPhone, iPad, etc.