iphone 5 to hdmi problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by asduskun, May 24, 2014.

1. asduskun macrumors newbie

2. asduskun thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Ti Rider macrumors member

I doubt it will work. I have an official Apple 30 pin to HDMI adapter that I used to use with my iPhone 4 all the time. After upgrading to a 5S I bought an official Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter. It was as pricey and as it is worthless. When I plug it in all I get is the "Device not supported" message. The HDMI adapter still works with my wife's 4S so it's not that. If the official (and expensive) Apple stuff doesn't work then I'd be very surprised if third party stuff does.

4. asduskun thread starter macrumors newbie

so why those apple products cost a fortune? are the people so rich or so stupid to apple?

5. coolguy4747 macrumors member

lightning to 30 pin adapters do not support video out no matter who makes them, so it will not work.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

iPhone 4S had HDMI output circuitry built in, which output on the 30 pin connector. This means the adapter just has wires in it, and no actual circuitry.

Lightning devices do NOT have HDMI output circuitry in them. The lightning to HDMI adapter accepts a digital video stream from the phone and then outputs HDMI. That's why it costs more; it's not a simple connector adapter.

The Lightning to 30 pin adapters do not have any sort of video conversion circuitry. They only have a DAC for outputting audio, so you can't use them with the 30-pin to HDMI adapters.

7. asduskun thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the answer but i can not afford a brand new lightning tv adapter so from where i can find refurbished or used ones?